Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but I know nothing about recording classical guitar.

He loves his ipad. He has been recording himself playing using facetime.

Surely there is a way to record with better quality than this.

What would you suggest? Is there a mic plus interface plus app combo that would do the trick?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

Irig mic or apogee one would do the job well. Point the mic at a spot around where the fretboard and body meet (not at the sound hole) and hit record using software such as garage band. Pretty simple stuff but definitely if it's just acoustic guitar there's no need for any other fancy gear, just a mic and stand to point it correctly.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm irig seems to have a freq response that only goes as low as 100 Hz and if I am correct I think an acoustic guitar goes lower than that.

Apogee mic there are two versions seems they differ in price and sampling rate but I can't seem to determine the frequency response of them. Will have to google more on this I guess.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If you're recording acoustic guitar you WANT limited bass response. I usually run a high pass filter at about 120-200hz for classical guitars. Besides, all small diaphragm mics are going to have a smaller bass response which isn't a bad thing.

Also frequency responses, all mics pick up signals between 20hz and 20khz, it's just about the shape of it all.

Hell, this is the frequency response chart for a U87, a $4000 mic that's the industry standard for vocals and most acoustic instruments. You'll notice a massive dip in frequencies in the low end. However that says nothing of how it reproduces the sound

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmmm so does that mean the irig mic can handle acoustic guitar even though they state the low end to be 100hz?

is the apogee mic significantly better it has a price tag of almost 4x the irig?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The apogee gear is great but if you don't know what to do with it and don't have any experience in eqing, mic placing and don't have decent monitors to listen back on, the different between the two will be negligible. Start with the irig mic but make sure you get the HD version. The older style ones that plug into the headphone jack have massive audio leak issues meaning sound will bleed into the tracks you don't want.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll direct him to the irig mic hd..... looks like it is around 130 and sold at the apple store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts