Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I bet someone with woodworking knowledge could build an angled stand with relative ease, just need dimensions for distance between shelves.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The best way is suspending it from the ceiling with eyebolts and lengths of chain.

Shit like that is risky, guitar stands, camera tripods, mic stands, etc. etc. etc. All that sort of shit in that camp. You get what you pay for, you would think they would be more affordable, but good trustworthy stands are often pretty expensive.

Dunno about Quik-Lok as a brand, never heard of them. For stands I pretty much stick to Hercules, those last forever. No clue if they make amp ones though.

Ultimate Support makes good stands too. I use those for single guitar stands, Hercules for wall hangers and 5 guitar multi stands. Ultimate makes a couple amp stands, no clue if they are good, but their guitar stands are good.

I would definitely go A frame over something like the stand in the OP though. A frame would obviously only work for combos, unless you get a huge one and you can perch the head on top of the cab. A frame is going to be way more stable.

A frame would be relatively easy to do out of wood yourself if you have the tools and the woodworking skillz, but when you take time into account and the fact you may very well have to buy the wood, it may end up more expensive than just buying a metal one.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
If it ain't a wedding I'd use a milk crate. But I also use Boss pedals so......

:lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
"I bought this $3000 Suhr head just so I could balance it precariously on top of a cab"

The part of the stand divider between the head and the cab making contact with the front of the cab is like, half an inch of wood making contact. Half an inch of wood making contact on something that is going to be vibrating and shaking around.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Yeah, the cab I guess is ok but a head sitting like that (I cant see any rubber buffers either) is asking for trouble it would seem.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Maybe for a jazz gig, but I would think a metal show might vibrate that head right onto the floor. A 2nd empty cab would be safer IMHO.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best way is suspending it from the ceiling with eyebolts and lengths of chain.
:lol:

Ultimate Support makes good stands too. I use those for single guitar stands, Hercules for wall hangers and 5 guitar multi stands. Ultimate makes a couple amp stands, no clue if they are good, but their guitar stands are good.
e.
Checked that, thanks!

Link or random Google find? :D

Yeah, the cab I guess is ok but a head sitting like that (I cant see any rubber buffers either) is asking for trouble it would seem.
At the volume level I play at, that wouldn't be a problem.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I have actually found that for projection AND bass response, the answer is one 1x12 on an angled stand, one on the floor, with the head on top of that. It sounds awesome.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's more about not pissing off the people in the apartment below mine than sound projection in this case. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Maybe for a jazz gig, but I would think a metal show might vibrate that head right onto the floor. A 2nd empty cab would be safer IMHO.
Metal shows have a halfstack minimum.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
It's more about not pissing off the people in the apartment below mine than sound projection in this case. :lol:
Find someone who plays the saxaphone, borrow that, then put the cab on the sax. Two problems solved :)

Metal shows have a halfstack minimum.
This is of course true, my bad!

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
"I bought this $3000 Suhr head just so I could balance it precariously on top of a cab"

The part of the stand divider between the head and the cab making contact with the front of the cab is like, half an inch of wood making contact. Half an inch of wood making contact on something that is going to be vibrating and shaking around.
I've got a similar setup and it's never come close to falling off. The weight of the head bearing straight down on the platform keep it from lifting at all. Yeah, I wouldn't use one at a metal gig where the stage is going to be moving independently of the rig, but as far as vibration from the cab itself, it's a non issue.

Link or random Google find? :D.
Atlas Stands, guy I've been following for a while. Yeah theyre kinda cork sniffery looking but the specialty is more about having an 'all in one' fold up rig.

The guy makes nice stuff, obviously is spendy but I linked it more for the concept. I built a similar head platform myself and I just use a normal angled cab stand like the one you posted underneath.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
What you want then is an Auralex Gramma/Great Gramma.

It will stop a large chunk of vibrations and LF leakage into the floor.

I got one when living in flats. It went from the guy below complaining to it being barely audible at the same volumes.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Then it's mostly the bass response you're worrying about, yeah? Wad up some old newspaper (evenly?) under the cab.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts