Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hasta la vista, Baby
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've actually had it for a while already but wasn't sure if it was a keeper or not. Here she is in all her bizarre glory!

You might recognize this one. It's been shifting hands lately due to shady sellers not disclosing some slight cracks on the higher frets of the fretboard. Having a soft spot for oddball guitars, I snagged it when I had the chance. Although a plain looking black guitar at first sight, it's got plenty of surprises...

It's supposed to be a B7, but after comparing it to my other B7 it was clear it was longer. Meassured it and... 28,75" scale. No wonder it felt massive! After researching a bit it turns out that this guitar (and her red hardtail sister) were conceived as some sort of "guitar/bass hybrids". Serial number is actually G7BASS. No kidding.

The neck pickup is actually an EMG35CS bass pickup, moved towards the center to mimic a bass pickup location. It's also equipped with an EMG BTC control, so you can "make it sound like bass". As dumb as this concept is, truth is it sounds pretty good and the BTC is awesome.

Red tortoise shell binding and Jescar EVO gold frets. Very nice looking combination. Red accents on the headstock are pretty cool as well.

Boring back shot. Control cavity is actually half the size of the cover, which although I think it's a good idea if you're stuck with those huge covers, I have very little space to snug another battery in there.

The guitar is full mahogany, and obviously quite heavy. I thought it was going to be too tight on 09s but it's actually perfect. It plays amazing and sounds huge. The EMG35CS compliments the EMG 81-7 quite well, as it sounds very percussive and agressive as well. The EMG BTC deserves its own thread, and thanks to it can sound tight and surgical without any OD in drop A despite of being full mahogany.

Overall a very different instrument to what I'm used to, but pretty fun. It has become my "practice guitar", as its a bit of a workout to play compared to the rest.

I also think I might leave the EMGs on this one. Maybe replace them with Q-Tuners eventually to try something new (and with aesthetics to match).

Bonus family pic!

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Feel like I should be excited by this but can't see any pics :(

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Huh. That's odd. I can definetely see them. If no one can see them I'll reupload them or something... :scratch:
Just tried quoting and realised it was because you used Facebook embed, don't think we can see them because of privacy or something

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Yes I see it now and what a score! That's a seriously cool axe, congrats!

Would be really curious to try something with a scale that long, given that I always find 7 strings to be really floppy on the bottom end.

Edit: Also, how do you have it tuned?

·
Registered
Guitars - Jackson B7 custom shop, Jackson B7 deluxe, Jackson DKA7
1 Posts
I've actually had it for a while already but wasn't sure if it was a keeper or not. Here she is in all her bizarre glory!

You might recognize this one. It's been shifting hands lately due to shady sellers not disclosing some slight cracks on the higher frets of the fretboard. Having a soft spot for oddball guitars, I snagged it when I had the chance. Although a plain looking black guitar at first sight, it's got plenty of surprises...

It's supposed to be a B7, but after comparing it to my other B7 it was clear it was longer. Meassured it and... 28,75" scale. No wonder it felt massive! After researching a bit it turns out that this guitar (and her red hardtail sister) were conceived as some sort of "guitar/bass hybrids". Serial number is actually G7BASS. No kidding.

The neck pickup is actually an EMG35CS bass pickup, moved towards the center to mimic a bass pickup location. It's also equipped with an EMG BTC control, so you can "make it sound like bass". As dumb as this concept is, truth is it sounds pretty good and the BTC is awesome.

Red tortoise shell binding and Jescar EVO gold frets. Very nice looking combination. Red accents on the headstock are pretty cool as well.

Boring back shot. Control cavity is actually half the size of the cover, which although I think it's a good idea if you're stuck with those huge covers, I have very little space to snug another battery in there.

The guitar is full mahogany, and obviously quite heavy. I thought it was going to be too tight on 09s but it's actually perfect. It plays amazing and sounds huge. The EMG35CS compliments the EMG 81-7 quite well, as it sounds very percussive and agressive as well. The EMG BTC deserves its own thread, and thanks to it can sound tight and surgical without any OD in drop A despite of being full mahogany.

Overall a very different instrument to what I'm used to, but pretty fun. It has become my "practice guitar", as its a bit of a workout to play compared to the rest.

I also think I might leave the EMGs on this one. Maybe replace them with Q-Tuners eventually to try something new (and with aesthetics to match).

Bonus family pic!

So I just so happen to own the counterpart to your black custom. It's a Pablo Santana B7 in Ginger spice (Red) that was built for the 2012 NAMM show. It came with the same pickups, stacked tone control, bass ferules to accommodate bass strings and a hardtail TOM bridge. I had no idea they were made as a pair lol this one serves as one of my main B7's and is my favorite guitar of all time. Let me know what you think!

-Erick Ramos

1 - 11 of 11 Posts