Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
awesome video. Really shows how overrated the JCM800 is (imo) considering in its stock form, its not the beat that people seem to think it is. This video also makes me want to get a JVM 410 that much more.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Dont get a jcm800 if you expect insane gain. Get one if you want to sound awesome though.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Also, I can't visually comprehend a Marshall with a ton of knobs. You're Marshall. Be Marshall. Let Mesa be Mesa.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had a valvestate 8100, I currently have a valvestate 8200 - love it

I had a 900 - hated it

I've had 3 JVM's - here's the thing.... I totally agree with Jeff, the 410 looks like the console of an apache gunship....
The 210 though, (or the 205.... Ive had two 205's and one 210) is to me the perfect balance
They sound great too
I'll get another one in a heartbeat as soon as I can afford it

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Yet again proving that the JVM410 is the only Marshall worth owning. I've always hated the Marshall tone, never got the JCM800 hype, but the second I plugged into a 410 I thought I was losing my fucking mind. As he says in the video though, it's got soooo much gain on tap it's unbelievable :lol: Red channel on OD2 is quite an out-of-control and wild tone, even with lower gain, perfect for really brutal death metal or something. But if you want tight, clean, smooth, punchy distortion, then orange channel with a TS in front (though it doesn't need it for the gain! just for the tone) is godly. Even unboosted it's fucking great. In fact, I'd use it unboosted all day long for hard rock and classic rock stuff (albeit EQ'd a little differently) but if you just give it a nudge with that TS and roll the gain way off on the amp there really isn't a modern amp that can touch it.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Yet again proving that the JVM410 is the only Marshall worth owning. I've always hated the Marshall tone, never got the JCM800 hype, but the second I plugged into a 410 I thought I was losing my fucking mind. As he says in the video though, it's got soooo much gain on tap it's unbelievable :lol: Red channel on OD2 is quite an out-of-control and wild tone, even with lower gain, perfect for really brutal death metal or something. But if you want tight, clean, smooth, punchy distortion, then orange channel with a TS in front (though it doesn't need it for the gain! just for the tone) is godly. Even unboosted it's fucking great. In fact, I'd use it unboosted all day long for hard rock and classic rock stuff (albeit EQ'd a little differently) but if you just give it a nudge with that TS and roll the gain way off on the amp there really isn't a modern amp that can touch it.
No way, man! I guess it shows how subjective it all is, because I've played quite a few 410's, 210's, and 205's, and I've played the JCM800 reissue and Jubilees a shit-ton. The JVM's sound like a noisy preamp into a separate power amp to me; they don't sound like a cohesive amp.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yet again proving that the JVM410 is the only Marshall worth owning..
I wouldn't go that far, since the JCM 2210 and 8100 sound beastly as well, but it's a REALLY damn good sounding amp. Stupid versatile as well. Hating the amp for having a lot of knobs is a petty bullshit reason. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I wouldn't go that far, since the JCM 2210 and 8100 sound beastly as well, but it's a REALLY damn good sounding amp. Stupid versatile as well. Hating the amp for having a lot of knobs is a petty bullshit reason. :lol:
How about fizzy preamp distortion tone, and noisier than a 5150?

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about fizzy preamp distortion tone, and noisier than a 5150?
I'll give you the noisy complaint, but I didn't have any problems with fizz when I tried one. Only had that issue when it was at low volumes, but that's a major complaint with a LOT of Marshalls.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Agreed Jeff, it's a noisy fucker. Horses for courses eh. I guess it's a feel thing. I actually really dislike overly gainy amps too, and actually prefer an amp to need a boost, but I guess there's just something that revs my engine about the JVM410.

I will say one thing though - My co-guitarist uses one (hence how i've got to know it so well) and I borrow it from time to time if I need it for studio use. Anyway, we both use exactly the same cabs (1960's with V30 and T75 in an X-pattern), and my Rectifier absolutely eats it alive. Admittedly he's not really a gear person so hasn't got it dialled in very well (I need to get on that..) but just as it stands, it doesn't come through the mix all that great. Recorded though, it's the tits.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Absolutely agree. OD2 is fizz central, and altogether doesn't have the articulation of OD1. And yes, he uses OD2 :lol:

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aaaand therein lies the problem. :lol:

That's my main issue with the JVM210. It has the same voicing as OD2 on the JVM410. If it had the same voicing as OD1, it would be killer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts