Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:noway:

Netflix Users Protest Proposed Price Increases With Social Media Firestorm | PCWorld

Netflix users stormed the streaming video and DVD rental services' blog and Facebook page by the thousands on Tuesday to criticize a new pricing structure that will raise some users' monthly bill by 60 percent.

The service announced that it would separate its streaming and DVD rental services, ostensibly to let its users choose if they wanted just one service or both. The result: The $9.99 per month plan, which allowed one DVD out at a time and which currently includes unlimited video streaming will jump to $15.98 under the new price structure. Unlimited streaming or one DVD out at a time will now cost $7.99 each.

Netflix users weren't too happy to receive the news.

Users left nearly 3,000 posts on the Netflix blog as of 6 p.m. Tuesday and around 10,000 comments on the company's Facebook page. Commentors accused Netflix of being greedy and alleged it was trying to "choke more change" out of its customers. Others suggested refreshing the streaming content to justify the price change. Others said they would be leaving Netflix.

Comment Highlights
  • I like the split but I think charging full price for both is going to lose y'all a few customers. I love having the option for both streaming and DVD but I'm not willing to cough up $16 a month for it.
  • A 60% price increase! Not many companies are bold enough to increase prices by 60% in these economic times. I hope the streaming selection gets a whole lot better. I've been buying a lot of videos from Amazon Instant Videos because Netflix doesn't have them; maybe I need to switch to Amazon for my streaming, too.
  • This price change wouldn't be so bad if you put more movies on streaming. Right now the streaming option is loaded with stuff nobody would ever rent.
  • This is a horrible deal for current customers. You're going to be losing a lot of business with this decision
The thousands of comments left on the Netflix Facebook page Tuesday struck similar themes

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Netflix content really needs to be more up to date to justify any increase in price. I call it the "Watch TV movies without commercials" channel.

But my guess is that they REALLY want to kill of their DVD service and move to streaming only across the board.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Fuck that, time to cancel again :yesway: The ONLY thing I'm watching right now is Spiderman : The Animated Series, because well fuck it ruled when I was a kid, but before that I barely used it. I got into Dexter with it, but they just fucking took Season 1 & 2 off Instant Queue and are now DVD only so there goes that, as well as their DVD library being absolute horse shit. Only recent movies are the worst movies imaginable like "Mutant Vampire Zombies from the Hood" or you need to have the DVD option, which at that point I can fucking run to Blockbuster next to my work, where I can also buy snacks if need be.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Netflix content really needs to be more up to date to justify any increase in price. I call it the "Watch TV movies without commercials" channel.

But my guess is that they REALLY want to kill of their DVD service and move to streaming only across the board.
Probably. They did just add all of the Miramax stuff, but still - when I see movies like 16 Candles in the Recently Added section, it's hard to get excited. :lol:

Netflix, Miramax Reach Movie Streaming Deal

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Meh, it's only a few bucks, but it's still a 60% price increase for me. (I do the unlimited streaming + one DVD plan).
I have the same plan. But, seriously, $15 bucks a month for anything that I want to watch at any time is not much money at all. The amount of money that I have saved on TV show seasons alone through Netflix makes it worth it. The DVDs...well....I "keep" them, so that also saves me money.

I'll pay them the $15 and continue to be a happy subscriber :yesway:

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Considering how much netflix has saved me by allowing me to be ok with cancelling cable, i'm ok with it. At least i am watching what i want and i dont pay for hundreds of channels i dont care for.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the same plan. But, seriously, $15 bucks a month for anything that I want to watch at any time is not much money at all. The amount of money that I have saved on TV show seasons alone through Netflix makes it worth it. The DVDs...well....I "keep" them, so that also saves me money.

I'll pay them the $15 and continue to be a happy subscriber :yesway:
Get an Easynews account instead, and "keep" way more DVDs than Netflix sends you. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
It'll be pretty pricey to keep my current plan of streaming+1 blu-ray, so I'll probably just stay with only streaming and use redbox or blockbuster for bluray.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
I hate that it's so far behind for tv (ie, last, or ever 2 seasons ago).

If everything was like 'starz' (ie, 24 hours after its on tv, it's available for streaming), I'd pay double or even triple what i'm paying now for it. I was on the 3+ steam, and have now downgraded to 2+ stream, ultimately keeping my bill the same.

In other news, with all the backlash from this, tomorrow might be a nice 'down' day to buy-in the the stock after the sell off :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.