Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
I was just coming in to post this, thats fricking awesome. He sounds really good, super huge tone. :yesway:

·
2,662 Posts
There's a ton of stuff from this up on the 'Tube too. Holy shit what fucking HUGE tone.
Oh I didn't see any of the other stuff. So much for going to sleep early. :lol:

Are those single coils, or stacked humbuckers you think? They are just fucking massive!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I didn't see any of the other stuff. So much for going to sleep early. :lol:

Are those single coils, or stacked humbuckers you think? They are just fucking massive!
I've no idea. Thornley can make a fuckin' 12 string sound like a wall of Marshalls at times, the dude is so damn underrated. :lol:

·
2,662 Posts
I've got to check his stuff out. I remember you posting a video of him a while back, and I never got around to it. Shame on me. :rant:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got to check his stuff out. I remember you posting a video of him a while back, and I never got around to it. Shame on me. :rant:
Both the Big Wreck stuff and his solo stuff are the goods. This video has dancin' booties in it so I'll spoiler it, but check out the tone he's getting with this crazy V with the bigsby on it. :lol:

Even if that's not the guitar he used for the song, the dude still rocks a V with a bigsby, ya know?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That's totally 12-string electric on that. Van Halen also used gained-up 12-strings on a lot of tracks like Poundcake, Black and Blue and Cabo Wabo.

Even if that's not the guitar he used for the song, the dude still rocks a V with a bigsby, ya know?
Kinda wrecked it by playing one of those clear acrylic BC Riches, though. :erk:

Wanna see something funny?

Another video, from the same year and the same director:

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Just watched these at a buddies place over the weekend. Didn't realize they were from this year's event. I wondered why Thorn wasn't in them. :rofl:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
"Come Again" keeps coming up on my "Bands that Sound Like Soundgarden, but Aren't" Pandora station. Fucking awesome song.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Thornley > Cornell.

And I think Cornell is awesome.
Cornell IS awesome. But, I have that Pandora station (fed by Slave to the System, Manmade God, and a few other similar bands) because I tend to prefer bands that sound like Soundgarden to Soundgarden themselves for some reason. :lol:

Oddly, these days, when I creat a Soundgarden Pandora station all I get is Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, and the like.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I have listened to BW and Thornley since Loving Memory.
He is just one of those writers who gets its.
Writes epic songs , great hooks and stacks so many different guitar tones.
Outstanding guitar players.

Wish I could have seen them when they toured with Dream Theater.
Also wish they would tour the U.S. more extensively.

I'm glad Ian and BW are nominated for - Juno Award for Ghosts.

Thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thorn's dialed back his vocals a good bit in recent years, still incredible though. i remember seeing him before hitting the stage at a festival eons ago, walking around in a circle with a glass of whiskey and a cigarette, screaming over and over to warm up his voice...RARRRR...RAAARRRR...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts