1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Nice dude

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I had a skateboard as a kid, but it never took me to that level. Nice!

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I used to skate a lot as a kid, and we actually have some pretty good parks like that around here. As much as I'd love to, I don't think I could get back into it without killing myself. I have a few buddies that still do and they've got some pretty fancy tricks up their sleeves. I'll see if I can find a video of one of my buddies and post it.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
No carbon frame no care.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wirelessly posted

I used to skate a lot as a kid, and we actually have some pretty good parks like that around here. As much as I'd love to, I don't think I could get back into it without killing myself. I have a few buddies that still do and they've got some pretty fancy tricks up their sleeves. I'll see if I can find a video of one of my buddies and post it.
I got into it again a couple years ago after a 9 year hiatus. I won't do gaps/drops or stairs for the sake of not killing myself. I'm just trying to have fun and it beats going to the gym. I have the majority of my old tricks back and am working on getting rid of bad habbits that I ignored as a kid. (I can heelflip, but kickflips feel awkward. Frontside shove Its are second nature but Pop Shove its feel wrong, etc)

No carbon frame no care.
I mean, there are some decks out there with carbon fiber plies.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I got into it again a couple years ago after a 9 year hiatus. I won't do gaps/drops or stairs for the sake of not killing myself. I'm just trying to have fun and it beats going to the gym. I have the majority of my old tricks back and am working on getting rid of bad habbits that I ignored as a kid. (I can heelflip, but kickflips feel awkward. Frontside shove Its are second nature but Pop Shove its feel wrong, etc)
It's been way too long for me, and they didn't really have any good parks when I was growing up, so the majority of stuff was limited to curbs and stairs/ledges. Since I was never really good at the big gap stuff, I stuck to more technical tricks, like 360 flips, nolly heel flips, switch hardflips and frontside 180 flips, stuff like that.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I stuck to more technical tricks, like 360 flips, nolly heel flips, switch hardflips and frontside 180 flips, stuff like that.
Nice! I never really did stairs and such back in the day...I just promised myself I wouldn't get into that now. :lol: That's the kinda stuff i'm working on now. Well, that and ledge tricks. I was always did frontside or heelflip variations back in the day, and now that I have those back I want to get kickflips and backside stuff.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Here's a buddy of mine skating a park that's probably less than 10 minutes from me, and I've never gone. I remember watching him frontside 180 flip his first set of stairs more than 20 years ago.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Right on, glad to see there's other skaters here. :yesway: Those are some sweet tricks. I just picked it back up about a month ago and now I've been going to skateparks nearly every day. I can't do any real tricks yet, but I've been working on the basics and going down bigger ramps without killing myself. I only did a little bit of campus cruising when I was younger. It's really fun and addictive. The only problem is that it can be a little awkward being the oldest and also the worst skater at the skatepark :lol:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It's skateboarding season again! I'm still a beginner and don't know many tricks, but it sure is fun :metal:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
It's skateboarding season again! I'm still a beginner and don't know many tricks, but it sure is fun :metal:

Even without a bunch of fancy tricks, your balls are about 50x bigger than mine. I skated fairly seriously from ~10-13 and was always falling and getting scraped up, narrowly escaping broken limbs, etc. Almost to the day I bought a guitar and realized I enjoyed playing and that breaking a finger/wrist/arm meant I might not be able to play again, I pretty much gave away all my skate gear.

Been tempted to dust it off a few times, but being 17 years older, 100lbs heavier and with a lot more to lose with serious injury, it's a bit of a pipe dream.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Even without a bunch of fancy tricks, your balls are about 50x bigger than mine. I skated fairly seriously from ~10-13 and was always falling and getting scraped up, narrowly escaping broken limbs, etc. Almost to the day I bought a guitar and realized I enjoyed playing and that breaking a finger/wrist/arm meant I might not be able to play again, I pretty much gave away all my skate gear.

Been tempted to dust it off a few times, but being 17 years older, 100lbs heavier and with a lot more to lose with serious injury, it's a bit of a pipe dream.
You should do it! It's so much fun and it's such a great feeling when you land a trick you've been working on or you roll down a ramp for the first time that was too scary before. I just started out of nowhere last summer at 31 - I wish I started 15 years earlier. You can always just cruise around sidewalks or ride up and down ramps at parks without doing anything too fancy. You can greatly reduce the risk of getting hurt if you just take it slow and progressively build up. That's why I don't know many tricks, I've just been taking it slow and getting overall comfortable on the board over the past several months. Ramps are way more fun than street skating too.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I never learned how to ollie (sp?) properly so I never got farther than gliding around my street :lol:. Props to anyone who can actually do some tricks and get some mileage out of their board. I still remember buying skateboard mags in elementary school haha.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

:metal: I just started hitting the skatepark again about a month ago. Only one short clip thus far though. I'm trying to work on things I didn't work on as much last year.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Anyone here still skateboarding?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts