Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the first twenty seconds, particularly the glorious part at 13 to 17 seconds, you will think, "What other tab do I have open making that noise? Surely something was misclicked."

Unfortunately, you clicked on the right thing, the noise is not coming from another tab.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no :lol:
It's a bit tragic, like, 60% of the song wouldn't be quite so terrible by "Schlocky '70s David Bowie/Elton John type piano ballad with mellotron" if the production suited the song. Although, the songwriting doesn't really suit the song either. The lyrics are also a bit....

I think he was going for the overdubbed Uriah Heep choir sound. Which, while classic and groundbreaking, is still not for everyone. For those who don't know, 2:12, courtesy of David "King Diamond's Biggest Influence" Byron.

Bill Ward is talented at a lot of things, but to be fair, overdubbing yourself for that kind of choir sound is something .001% of the population is good at.

His earnestness and "honestly earnest delivery" is heartwarming though, as always.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Man, I was thinking, like... ermn... :spock:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I had to hit Google to make sure I really knew who Bill Ward was, because I was sure I must have been wrong.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
This is...uh...it’s got some...umm...maybe we’ve been too hard on Lucas.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
W O W

i woke up today and immediately had to clean up cat barf and while cleaning up said barf thought to myself "Well Self, this is probably the low point of the day and the rest of the day will be just fine".

Then i clicked on that link and now i know deep in my heart that today is going to suck suck suck.

:rofl:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't actually listened to the whole thing in perpetuity, since the second hand embarrassment is too strong, but I'm bed ridden with flu and was convinced I might have misjudged it as the result of some feverish hallucination.

I tried listening to it again twice more, and have arrived at the conclusion that either my feverish hallucinations are remarkably consistent or it really is that bad.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stop watching Shark Tank while you're in bed with the flu.
I haven't gotten to the feverishly watching Shark Tank level yet, I think it's flu, not some serious strain of coronavirus.

I did feverishly watch a large part of Taylor Swift's Netflix documentary though. This could just be the fever talking, but I'm convinced that between her intense self righteous pretentiousness and her enthusiasm for playing piano even though she only knows how to do P5 power chords with her thumb and pinky and write in any key or mode as long as its relative to C Major and doesn't involve black keys that we are kindred spirits.

I doubted the whole "Taylor Swift is a fearless inspiration" thing, but after seeing that Taylor Swift allowed herself to be filmed playing piano, I'm convinced that short of impossible feats of human endurance like listening to the whole Bill Ward song all the way through, the human spirit is capable of anything. She is like, the Johnny Ramone of the ebony and ivory.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
well that was pretty much terrible. I'll get my Ward from Black Sabbath albums. He also has another side project that is significantly better than this (mostly because it's clearly rooted in Sabbath)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts