Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BitTorrent Labs

This is going to be very cool. Steve Gibson was raving about it on this week's Security Now, because apparently it's a pretty damn secure (in comparison to Dropbox) way to sync files over the internet, between folders. You can do two-way syncs, read-only syncs, one time syncs. Very cool, and it's free.

Right now it's in alpha, but apparently even then it's still pretty stable. What I like is that they're working on getting it functional on NAS's too, including FreeNAS.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

This also stands to dramatically increase "legitimate" (I.e. noninfringing) BT traffic. That will serve to strengthen BT against takedown, as well as certain methods of p2p throttling.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

This also stands to dramatically increase "legitimate" (I.e. noninfringing) BT traffic. That will serve to strengthen BT against takedown, as well as certain methods of p2p throttling.
Yeah. Bit Torrent wasn't designed for infringing anything, but obviously it enabled it. It's actually a wonderful technology for getting massive (yet legitimate) files out, like Linux distributions. There was even a package that apparently allowed Sysadmins to distribute Windows patches to remote employees. Don't know if that ever came to fruition.

Too bad it got a bad rap for the questionable stuff.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Facebook and Twitter use it to distribute server updates and data; Blizzard used a modified version to transfer patches.

I know entirely too much about law and BT right now, I'm writing two papers on it :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Facebook and Twitter use it to distribute server updates and data; Blizzard used a modified version to transfer patches.

I know entirely too much about law and BT right now, I'm writing two papers on it :lol:
Didn't know about FB and Twitter using it; way cool :yesway:. I just think it's a fascinating technology marred by.....well, you know.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Twitter: Twitter Engineering: Murder: Fast datacenter code deploys using BitTorrent

FB: Exclusive: a behind-the-scenes look at Facebook release engineering | Ars Technica

Luckily, BitTorrent itself is very hard to justify taking down. They don't actually touch any infringing data at any level, they make money off donations and a crappy toolbar, they've been trying to run "legitimate" distribution deals for ages, and, probably most importantly, they made the protocol open source.

That means that you can spend tens or hundreds of thousands trying to shut BitTorrent or another client provider down, only to have someone else throw together a new version in an hour or so.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is just friggin' awesome. I'm really liking how easy it is to get something spooled up and running with it. I'm installing it on a Linux server connected to a Drobo Pro, and it's going to be an awesome Dropbox replacement.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I would like this paired with a secure offsite storage solution. Dropbox works well enough for me though. Reasonably secure, but you must trust Dropbox enough to feel safe :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I think I'm going to give this a go, mainly as I'm across all three desktop OSs and both mobile OSs between work and home, and I'm loathed to pay for Dropbox monthly if there are solutions like this about.

The only thing that might get a little interesting is having a shared folder for the bands, but I'm sure I can work something out with that.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like this paired with a secure offsite storage solution. Dropbox works well enough for me though. Reasonably secure, but you must trust Dropbox enough to feel safe :lol:
Dropbox isn't very secure at all, when they hold the key. If you pair this up with VPS that is SOC2 compliant, you'd be set.

I think I'm going to give this a go, mainly as I'm across all three desktop OSs and both mobile OSs between work and home, and I'm loathed to pay for Dropbox monthly if there are solutions like this about.

The only thing that might get a little interesting is having a shared folder for the bands, but I'm sure I can work something out with that.
Not at all difficult. Just go into the control panel, add another folder, and give them the shared secret. You can also do a one time share, or a permanent but one-way share/sync. It's the perfect solution for band stuff, because it deals with big files very well.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Dropbox isn't very secure at all, when they hold the key. If you pair this up with VPS that is SOC2 compliant, you'd be set.

Not at all difficult. Just go into the control panel, add another folder, and give them the shared secret. You can also do a one time share, or a permanent but one-way share/sync. It's the perfect solution for band stuff, because it deals with big files very well.
That's the whole "trusting Dropbox" thing. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the whole "trusting Dropbox" thing. :lol:
I guess my point is that Dropbox is the least trustworthy out of the commercial solutions, which is why I switched to Google Drive. They're TOS is actually better than Dropbox's, and I trust their security more.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: iOS app works really well. Uploads multiple photos and videos at once, to whatever folder you specify. Also will do automatic camera roll backup, which works great.

I've now got a 500GB Dropbox replacement sitting on a virtual machine on my network. Pretty cool.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (boobies)

There's an ARM build of this right? This could be a cool use of a Raspberry Pi.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just bought this, to go with a WD 1TB drive I've got laying around:

Raspberry Pi Model B Revision 2.0 (512MB) with Clear Case (by SB Components)
http://amzn.com/B00BR5U6FG

I'll load Debian and BTSync and I'm set.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This continues to be my shiny new toy. My wife and I no longer use Google Drive or Dropbox for file syncing, and I've got two always-on nodes now, one at my house, one 45 minutes away at my in-laws.
It's amazingly fast too, which is great. Yesterday my wife uploaded a 1080p video from her phone of my daughter's dance practice, and I had it encoded and thrown on the Plex server before she even got home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts