Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I emailed Tim recently to ask where progress was on seven string single coils, because I knew they had been working on them... and according to Tim you can order them now! I merged two emails together here for quoting efficiency :yesway:

Tim Mills said:
yes I can make you 7 string singles no problem.

We don't have baseplates and they're flat profile but other than that we can do any of the 6 string winds.

kindest regards

Tim
So no vintage stagger magnets and no zinc base plates, which is sort of a bummer, but this still massively expands the available options for seven string single coil pickups :woot:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
More options is always a good thing. It's great to see pickup winders producing more single coils for seven strings. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
That's pretty awesome, but I'm still waiting for bass pups.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Bumpy bump :bump:

What are the impacts of the zinc baseplate and staggered magnets (poles?)?

I'm leaning to HSH or HSS setup on my next S7. Specifically, in a mahogany-bodied instrument, a Cold Sweat/Irish Tour/Irish Tour (or other humbucker in neck)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The vintage staggered magnet basically raises the middle two poll pieces and the two bass side string poll pieces slightly (middle two more than the bass two)... it helps smooth out the frequency response across the strings. The zinc baseplate adds some bass response.

I've got a Holydiver/Irish Tour/Irish Tour 6 set in my Steiny with a limba body and maple top and it sounds fantastic. The singles have the zinc baseplate and the vintage staggered magnets. The Cold Sweat is slightly lower output than the Holydiver, but you'll still experience some volume drop between the singles and the humbucker. Not a big deal, just know it will be there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts