Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
1,306 Posts
Definitely looking forward to this. Aronofski had been hugely influenced by the films of Satoshi Kon, and I'm seeing a lot of Perfect Blue in the trailer. He's definitely going for a similar tone, and if he can pull it off, this should be fantastic.

·
18,790 Posts
Definitely looking forward to this. Aronofski had been hugely influenced by the films of Satoshi Kon, and I'm seeing a lot of Perfect Blue in the trailer. He's definitely going for a similar tone, and if he can pull it off, this should be fantastic.
He actually bought the rights to Perfect Blue just so he could use the bathtub scene in Requiem for a Dream. :agreed:

·
Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
1,306 Posts
He actually bought the rights to Perfect Blue just so he could use the bathtub scene in Requiem for a Dream. :agreed:
I know. Plus, watch Millennium Actress and The Fountain back to back. You can definitely see where Aronofsky gets his inspiration. :yesway:

·
Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
1,306 Posts
I've been meaning to check out that stuff, since I've always been a big Aronofsky fan, and I love seeing who inspires the people who inspire me :D
Well definitely check out more of Satoshi Kon's stuff, Paranoia Agent too! It's amazing just how iconic some scenes in Perfect Blue have become, without the film itself being that famous, I've seen that bathtub scene in other films as well. I think Kon's work has influenced quite a lot of people, in a relatively short space of time. I'd say Inception was definitely influenced by Paprika, and there's a lot of Perfect Blue touches in David Lynch's Inland Empire too.

The "Magnetic Rose" segment of the film Memories was written by Kon too, it's typically surreal and freakish, very good indeed, so I'd recommend checking that out too. :yesway:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I still haven't seen The Wrestler, but i was at the Toronto premiere of The Fountain and it just didn't do it for me.

This trailer doesn't look compelling enough to make me want to go see the movie. It just makes me think i'll come away from it confused and utterly un-moved the way i was after The Fountain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts