Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I place the ht dual (valve preamp/dist pedal) first in the chain and set the x3 to a clean amp or no gain, or do I place the dual in the x3's loop so that it comes after the x3's compressor and noise gate etc?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Try it and see which way sounds better?

Typically you'd put it before.

·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try it and see which way sounds better?

Typically you'd put it before.
Yes, first was my gut feeling as well. Will try both but since my 1 yo daughter is sleeping in our bedroom where all my gear is I have to wait until tomorrow (and I thought I'd tap in to some of the MG knowledge in the meantime :) )

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
bean, live or pro?

if live or pro I think the beast is to 4cable it. if it's a bean, before.
Why would you 4-cable it if it's a distortion pedal he wants to use as his "amp?"

·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would you 4-cable it if it's a distortion pedal he wants to use as his "amp?"
It's a live. I actually thought of a reason to place the pedal in the loop. If it's before I can't record dry for future reamping (I almost always record wet + dry)...

·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a live. I actually thought of a reason to place the pedal in the loop. If it's before I can't record dry for future reamping (I almost always record wet + dry)...
Reading up a bit, 4 cable isn't the same as putting the pedal in the x3 loop is it? Is 4cm using both the loop of the x3 and the loop of an amp?

/ Confused

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
If you can move effects around the loop in the X3 (before or after), then put the pedal in the loop. That would grant you some flexibility.

The 4CM is for using something like your X3 with a full amp head (pre/pwr) with an FX loop. Since you've only got a pre, I'd stick it in the loop. That way, you can route compressors or OD's before the pre, and put delays and reverbs after.

·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you should skip the X3 altogether and just use the HT Dual. Sounds damn fine by itself:

I still want to be able to use reverb or delay and - more importantly - use it as a recording interface.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
If you're only using the X3 for reverb/delay, then it'll be pretty simple...

Guitar -> HT Dual -> X3 -> amp or recording interface.

·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're only using the X3 for reverb/delay, then it'll be pretty simple...

Guitar -> HT Dual -> X3 -> amp or recording interface.
The X3 is the recording interface, and yes. As long as i don't get any ideas about noise gates or compressor (which are before the loop in the X3).

My guitar teacher emailed me and said I HAVE to get a Bad Monkey OD, it's (according to him) the best sound you can get from pedals - Bad Monkey + HT dual. So I bought a used one which I'll probably get day after tomorrow :D

·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Got the Bad Monkey yesterday, so I did a quick sound test:

http://soundcloud.com/osiris8/geartest

I'm crap at dialing good tones, but I think it sounds rather good (better than my playing anyway, comparing apples to oranges :) ). The best thing is that I can't hear any of the missounds I was complaining about in an earlier thread - yay! This is Bad Monkey and HT Dual in the loop of the X3, no amp, X3 cab sim.

Now I'm gonna dial/tweak/experiment myself to death until I get a perfect tone...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts