Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Blackstar HT for Death Metal?

35K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  Nyarlath 
#1 ·
I play modern death metal stuff like (Dying Fetus, Despised Icon, etc..) I play a LTD Viper 400 w/ active EMG's, tuned to B standard with 12 gauge strings.

I'm looking into getting a 2x12 combo, under $1000. Been looking at this Blackstar HT 60. Anyone have experience with this amp?

Buy Blackstar Venue Series HT Stage HT-60 60W Tube Guitar Combo Amp | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

or would I be better of with something like this Rocktron Vendetta.

Buy Rocktron V160R Vendetta 160w 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp | Hybrid Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

I'm looking for a used 5150 combo, but I don't know if i will find one.

#39 ·
Depends on which type of death metal tone you're looking to do. If you want a super tight and articulate type, it probably won't get you where you want. I know my Mark III can do tight rhythm stuff (what the Marks have become known for), but with some tweaking and EQ adjustments, I can have a slightly thicker, sludgier/saggier tone like the Rectos have been known for.

Obviously, this isn't too say it's 100% fact, and I know there ARE guys who use Rectos for some technical stuff like Cannibal Corpse, and I'm sure Dave and the others would be more suited to help in that area.

#42 ·
Hi... just joined here a minute ago. Thought I'd add my 2 cents, though maybe you have bought the amp by now.

I've had the HT-20 head for about a year, thru an Orange cab... It's a brilliant amp, and does exactly what it 'should', but imo is not great for metal... It has saturation and gain for days, but for me, it is very British and loose - 'Voxy' almost... I don't like amps that are too tight and trebly/fizzy either, but for me, this amp is not great for metal. I love the harmonic richness of the distortion tones, but no matter how I EQ or turn the ISF toward the American side, it just becomes too flubby and loose as I turn the gain up for metal... I can get the 'voice' of the tone I'm after EQ-wise, but the clipping style of the distortion is just too saggy and spongy for me. I would recommend the Series 1 combo for metal over the HT amps, at least where Blackstar is concerned... The HT distortion, for me, is better suited to classic rock, blues, and saturated, liquid leads... Just my view of course... I use the Blackstar HT-Distx for my metal, which is good... Maybe a little too far too the other side with it's extreme aggression.

I'm keeping mine, because I love it regardless of that, and I play other styles of music that it does really well. The clean channel and reverb are superb for one thing. At the minute, I'm looking at getting a EL34 Peavey XXX, a Valveking, or HOPEFULLY a Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber +. Between that and my Blackstar, I should have most of my bases covered, and can use an A/B box to switch them.

#43 ·
Hi... just joined here a minute ago. Thought I'd add my 2 cents, though maybe you have bought the amp by now.

I've had the HT-20 head for about a year, thru an Orange cab... It's a brilliant amp, and does exactly what it 'should', but imo is not great for metal... It has saturation and gain for days, but for me, it is very British and loose - 'Voxy' almost... I don't like amps that are too tight and trebly/fizzy either, but for me, this amp is not great for metal. I love the harmonic richness of the distortion tones, but no matter how I EQ or turn the ISF toward the American side, it just becomes too flubby and loose as I turn the gain up for metal... I can get the 'voice' of the tone I'm after EQ-wise, but the clipping style of the distortion is just too saggy and spongy for me. I would recommend the Series 1 combo for metal over the HT amps, at least where Blackstar is concerned...
The "Voice" switch on the HT-40 and above have, which the HT-1, 5, and 20 don't, would probably solve this issue for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.