Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory here - I have this old Indonesian-made Squier P-bass with two J-bass pickups in it that I've actually been having a lot of fun playing lately - it's not a half bad sounding instrument, and I kind of want to swap out the pickups and electronics and see what sort of potential it has, because acoustically it sounds pretty big.

One of the things I really want to change, though, is the blend knob - it's an even taper from 100% neck to 100% bridge, and while that's cool, I'd kind of like to replace it with a knob that has a detent in the middle so I could relatively quickly go to 50/50; the full range is cool and all, but if I were recording anything with it, I'd have to be super careful not to nudge that knob between takes or if I wanted to go back and punch in a section, etc.

I'm sure these things exist, but while I've gotten a fair amount better at working with a soldering iron, I'm still shit at finding the exact parts I should be using. So, could anyone point me in the right direction? :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guitar Fender Potentiometers

Looks like 005-6097-000 is what I'm looking for - a 500k pan pot with a center detent. Near as I can tell, 500k or 1meg pots are the way to go here, to preserve as much clarity as possible - googling suggests that a 250k vol and a 500k pan will give you about the same sound as a pair of 250k separate volume controls.

Any other manufacturers/vendors I should be looking at?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
Side note, I have a super cheap P-Bass copy that always sounded badass unplugged. About a year or so ago I put a set of Fender '62 P-Bass pickups in it and it freaking kicks ass now :yesway: So hope it works out similarly for you!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Side note, I have a super cheap P-Bass copy that always sounded badass unplugged. About a year or so ago I put a set of Fender '62 P-Bass pickups in it and it freaking kicks ass now :yesway: So hope it works out similarly for you!
Good to know - that's basically what I'm doing here. :lol: It was always a fairly decent playing bass for a Squier, so I'm hoping with a little work it'll kick boatloads of ass. I have the blend knob in the mail as well as a fresh set of strings, and I'm looking at pickup options now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts