Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Blow a lot of money on a Recto, or use same money to get multiple heads?

• Yes, Recto all the way

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Use money to get more amps

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Noodles

Votes: 13 33.3%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recto going fairly cheap (for a Recto) and I wasn't originally going to get one, but this sighting of one has made me contemplate it.

I need an amp (or ampS, preferably) for studio work, my own live use with my band, and for reamping.

Is it worth trying to grab a recto now while it's cheap, or use the same money to get 2 or more heads, in the interest of versatility?

Only got about a day left to decide :eek:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
If its versatility you want, a recto is hard to beat from my experience. Normally I'd have said multiple amps, but in this case, recto.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
I voted to snag the Recto. It's about as tried and true as you can get, and if you end up not wanting it down the road it will be easy enough to flip.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I voted to snag the Recto. It's about as tried and true as you can get, and if you end up not wanting it down the road it will be easy enough to flip.
Yeah, they do tend to hold their value more so than a lot of other amps, and that's always a plus if you're unsure about something. I know I could make at least what I'm potentially going to pay for it back.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I feel your pain.

Personally I dont think the recto is different enough to your 5150 to satisfy the 'amp variety for record tones/client selection' motivation. I'd keep my eyes out for amps with more widely differing core voicings/tones. Marshalls, engls etc.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah that's the real issue here really. With a Peavey and a Marshall, I can probably cover a lot more ground with the same amount of money (at second-hand prices) than I could with just a Recto. And if I had the Recto AND a Peavey, they're too similar at the heart of their sound to justify having both.

Having said that... it's a fucking Rectifier. I've never had one. I guess I could just grab it, and see which amp gets more use in the short term, and flog the one that's losing out.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
My point in that regard would be, how often do you need a clean channel, and how clean does it need to be? That's where the recto is gonna destroy the 6505 :lol: Normally I'd agree with Mark, but I find it hard to not recommend a recto after playing a few of them, and knowing a few guys with them. There's still a noticeable difference between the peavey and Mesa IMO on the OD channel to warrant it.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Yeah that's the real issue here really. With a Peavey and a Marshall, I can probably cover a lot more ground with the same amount of money (at second-hand prices) than I could with just a Recto. And if I had the Recto AND a Peavey, they're too similar at the heart of their sound to justify having both.

Having said that... it's a fucking Rectifier. I've never had one. I guess I could just grab it, and see which amp gets more use in the short term, and flog the one that's losing out.
A fair plan.

For my money/ears the 5150 takes it for high gain, and the recto is more versatile with a decent clean (and better lower gain/crunch sounds). That would have to be weighed against the fact that you could get any number of much better dedicated clean amps in addition to the 5150 for much less than the difference between the price of the 5150 and recto.

Says the man that uses X40 to scratch everything, uses a VHT pittbull CL 9 times out of 10 regardless of genre (it just usually wins) and my 'clean' amp is a powerball :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
There's still a noticeable difference between the peavey and Mesa IMO on the OD channel to warrant it.
I'd go along with that. Except I think I prefer the 5150 sound. Despite its shortcomings, I'd keep my 6505+ over my Pball or Cobra if I had to. It does one thing, but it does it so damn well.

What's your current amp situation, Matt? Have you still got Ryan's Peavey?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Every time I post I keep forgetting to say;
"Taking 1 amp to a gig > Taking 1 Clean and 1 OD amp to a gig"

:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Every time I post I keep forgetting to say;
"Taking 1 amp to a gig > Taking 1 Clean and 1 OD amp to a gig"

:lol:
Indeed. Wonder why I never think of these things :lol:

(My amp considerations are absolutely always in 'recording' mode, as anton well knows).

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...Says the man that uses X40 to scratch everything, uses a VHT pittbull CL 9 times out of 10 regardless of genre (it just usually wins) and my 'clean' amp is a powerball :lol:
Haha! Horses for courses man. What works for one person might not work for another. I've always been fortunate in that I can coax a good tone out of most things, so I've never really found sense in strictly using certain amps/guitars for certain jobs, and having to stay in that box. Anything can work for anything! It just might not be "optimal".

What's your current amp situation, Matt? Have you still got Ryan's Peavey?
Yeah man, replacing it with my own in the next week or two though. The 6505/5150 has always been the core sound of my music, but I dare say it's time to mix things up a bit. I'm a huge fan of dryer, thrashier tones lately, and the Recto can nail that to a T, whilst also reaching those fully saturated tones ala 5150.

If things go to plan, I can probably swing the recto AND a 6505+. They are different enough to warrant it I think, and a few months down the line I'll get something else. The plan is to just collect amps from here on out, assuming business continues to increase.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
What people forget is that a Recto is not simply Channel 3 Modern and Channel 3 Vintage.

There are a hell of a lot of useful tones in there.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts