Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in another thread I've been looking at buying a used 5150/6505.

Many people are asking for 700+ in my area.

Looking around I see some Mesa Dual Rectifiers in the 800 dollar range. From my understanding it is a more versatile amp.

Would that perhaps be a better purchase to kill two birds with one stone? Hi gain and blues?

But when I look at popular blues amps I see many combos are often tossed around e.g. fender champ, hot rod deluxe , twin reverb etc).

Do people tend towards combos instead of head and stack?

I have about $1000 and was thinking $500 for a 5150 and $500 for some sort of fender combo like a hot rod deluxe for blues.

What advice would you guys give?

1) look for a head that does both (blues and high gain)?
2) look for two heads?
3) look for a head and a combo?
4) look for two combos (a 6505+112 is pretty affordable but most people here seem to be against that idea lol)?

Keeping in mind I am just a bedroom player and probably never going to do more than jam with friends.

Not sure if it matters but my other guitar is a strat copy with becky and bill keystones waiting to be installed.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
A Dual Rec can definitely do blues. :yesway:

The Crunch channel on a 6505+ for low gain sounds is actually pretty solid for a huge variety of musical contexts.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
LOL even for blues?!?
Fuck yes. Don't even have to change from your metal settings, just use the neck pup.:smoking:

For greater blues effect use an old shorted guitar cable, just the right amount of break up.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Dual Rec can definitely do blues. :yesway:

The Crunch channel on a 6505+ for low gain sounds is actually pretty solid for a huge variety of musical contexts.
Hmmm mayble flexkill was right then..... just go with a 6505+.

I always associated the Peavey's with metal and didn't realize that for certain models it was an option.

Fuck yes. Don't even have to change from your metal settings, just use the neck pup.:smoking:

For greater blues effect use an old shorted guitar cable, just the right amount of break up.
LOL is that before or after I sell my soul to the devil? :)

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

The crunch channel is on all 6505's, its the clean channel with a lot of extra juice (shared eq).

You could also get the 5150 and an epi valve jr (unless you have noise restrictions).

Also try out the fender champ X2, and if you dig it find a used one.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

Too many people think certain gear is for certain styles. Most gear is actually pretty versatile depending on the guitar it's paired up with. The Beatles and Brian May both used AC30s but their tones were worlds apart. Same goes for rectors and 6505s.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Honestly for a bedroom player the 6505+ would be great with a 2x12 cab but if you are looking to play out figure out what style you want to play and buy that.

For a long time I had a Mesa Nomad which is a good rock/blues amp and I would jam metal on it with a boost for fun but I had it because I only played rock/blues live.

I have the luxury of multiple amp/cab setups now so I have a 5150 for heavy live playing and an Egnater and Jet City for my rock/blues live playing needs.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Looking around I see some Mesa Dual Rectifiers in the 800 dollar range. From my understanding it is a more versatile amp.

Would that perhaps be a better purchase to kill two birds with one stone? Hi gain and blues?

But when I look at popular blues amps I see many combos are often tossed around e.g. fender champ, hot rod deluxe , twin reverb etc).

Do people tend towards combos instead of head and stack?
They do, but that doesn't mean YOU have to.

The Recto is definitely the more versatile amp, and if you like Mesa's flavor of heavy, you're not giving up mucvh over a 5150. And it can definitely do blues/rock stuff, set right.

Most of those "blues" rigs are low wattage, low preamp gain amps which blues guys hit with a Tube Screamer or similar and then turn up until the power amp overdrives, while a Rectifier has a pretty clean poweramp but a ton of preamp gain.

However, if you take it easy on the preamp gain, there's no reason you can't get to similar gain levels, but just with a slightly different flavor. I wouldn't mind a small "blues" combo, but I would absolutely gig with my Roadster if I had a blues band.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the input! If this deal goes through on the weekend for a 6505+ I will probably go with that.

I don't have a Boss Blues Driver although heard good things about it.

I do have a Maxon OD808 though (different but in the same ball park).

A friend had a fender champ a long time ago. That was a cute little amp that we probably didn't appreciate back then due to it's small size and simple controls. We were teens and well 11 was one louder. :)

I think there are quite a few fender tube combos out there that are pretty good for a reasonable price.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Drew said what I would have, since a Recto is a ridiculously versatile amp. For blues, nothing beats rhythm on pushed and solos on raw. For classic rock, raw rhythm and vintage solo. Metal, modern rhythm and vintage or modern solo. Hell, some dudes play modem country on them.

I love the 5150, since I also dig simple, straight forward amp heads. The voicing and number of gain stages will always be the same, though. It's less of a tone tweakers amp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts