Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! i have had my 2002 BMW 330i for nearly a month now. recently the drivers side headlight went out. I am told that the light itself did not burn out, as it still flickers so i was told by my mechanic that i need a new ballast on that side.

but while he was at it he said he looked at my headlight assemblies and it appears the previous owner attempted to do some aftermarket shit on the headlights that i was not aware of prior to purchasing the vehicle. Needless to say i need to purchase 2 new headlight assemblies for the car and i have been looking everywhere and it seems every headlight assembly set i find online is not compatible with the factory HID's.

Wondering if any of you guys know where i could find a set of headlights that would be compatible with the car. or if any of you have any different solutions entirely? any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Having just done some work on one of the headlights on my wife's MINI, i can tell you that they're a gigantic pain in the ass. Even from one year to the next, BMW changed the ballast/driver unit, making the mouting points and connections incompatible with previous versions of the same light. You may have to bite the bullet and get an OEM light.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would you suggest attempting to purchase parts directly from a dealer? or are there some reliable places online? i have been looking around but i simply do not want to risk getting something that will not work in my car :lol:

Also, i know i will need to get a part number to purchase the ballast. my mechanic is getting back with me tomorrow on that so that part should be good to go.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I don't see why you can't just get any decent aftermarket HID kit and mount the new ballasts somewhere else.

If your light is just flickering, I would check your connections from bulb and into ballast. Sometimes they just need a little dielectric grease and that fixes the flickering problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts