Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the awful looking hoodline is some kind of European safety standard. It looks lousy in pictures, and even worse in person.

Here's a couple pics that folks on the web photoshopped to show how it would look without the line:

Real:

Shop:

Real:

Shop:

Pic I took today at the dealer:

The back of the car looks great, and they brought back the driver oriented dash (like a 7* tilt of everything towards the driver or so, don't quote me on that) which is awesome, but man - the hoodline absolutely kills what would otherwise be a pretty slick looking front end.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The back, which took some styling hints from the 5-series. Looks fantastic in person.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The solution is to buy a black one. ;)

Seriously great-looking car, though. Way better looking than the new 5, 6, 7 and X3.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The new 5 just looks like a fatter, heavier 3. I think they really took the design backwards with the 5, like they were trying to forget that the Bangle version ever existed.

And i'm probably very much in the minority, but i LOVED the Bangle 5-series. It was so fresh and different, and really got them away from the "same sausage in 3 different lengths" design approach they had for so long.

That's awesome that they've gone back to the canted centre stack. That was one feature i loved in the first BMWs i ever saw.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That's another thing that i think they've messed up. The light pipes they were using under Bangle's direction were thinner and more elegant. Now they've gone to these thick, chunky accents under the red covers, and they look just awful, and too much the same.

And the angel eye/halo lights are now optional on many models, which kinda sucks (not sure if they were before, though). They were fast becoming a BMW visual signature, and now on certain models, you only get them if you order an expensive "lighting package".

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

I LOVE the way angel eyes look on the e46s

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, indeed i'm biased. (I'm from europe)
I was looking more than a minute (ok within one hour after i woke up and before coffee), i really thought what hood line is he talking about.

You're absolutely right it looks way better without the line.

11 months countdown, before getting my new BMW 3 (lease via my company), got mixed feeling about it.
The BMW is a great driving car and even with the hoodline it looks great.

Why mixed? Because of the tax impact, short version, i will pay ±$2500,-- more tax per year than with my current car (Prius). I would prefer to lease the new Prius V plugin (0% tax) probarbly available in 2013. Why not lease a new Toyota? My company has a new contract with BMW so no other brands and models. (scroll down long version)

This would be the colour i like the most and probarbly the touring version of the car

Long version:
Prius or Prius V
Cleaner car / add 14% car value to income / pay 42% tax = €1646/$2140 cost per year
Prius V or Prius plug in
cleanest car / add 0% car value to income = €0 / $0 cost per year
BMW 320d
Clean car / add 20% car value to income / pay 42% tax = €3528/$4586 cost per year
(max uplift is 25% for the "dirtiest" cars)

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

Cannot unsee :lol:

·
Nobody Has Seen Me Lately
1,191 Posts
All cars look the fucking same to me these days, no matter who makes the damn things. They all look like rolling turds to me!

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I've definitely noticed more copycat behaviour from the design studios in recent years. If one company has a hit, you see all the other companies copying them within a couple of years. Case in point: That lower grille... Kia has had a TON of positive attention for their design, so everyone's adding Kia-like grille features.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The recent 7 series is particularly hideous. It just looks fat and overgrown.

I think the nicest-looking car to come out of the German brands recently is the CLS:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
New 7 series is hideous. The CLS looks like a sex toy from the back. The most recent M6 is the nicest car to come out of Germany in a long time IMO. The new 1M is GORGEOUS though.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The CLS is gorgeous from the back. Looks sleek and a little retro, and I love the creases on the sides.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think they went a little too crease-crazy. In fact, all of the upcoming Benzes have that sagging crease above the upward-swooping one. I think it looks terrible. The first-generation CLS was much nicer.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts