Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of those who thought, "Really, the only problem with Bob Dylan's music is he doesn't have enough 17 minutes songs", your prayers have been answered.

How long can you make it?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, for those who think this song is utterly useless, I will point out that it's probably very effective torture for suspected terrorists.

Some real Guantanamo Bay shit.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I actually saw Bob Dylan live last year (Christmas present for my dad) - I barely recognized any of the songs even though he played some of his biggest hits. Towards the end he actually bothered to sing during a few songs instead of just mumbling, and then he sounded quite ok for his age and the songs were recognizable. It was a shame the tickets for the John Fogerty (my dad's a huge fan) show a month later didn't come on sale before christmas, as that would have probably been a lot better.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I actually saw Bob Dylan live last year (Christmas present for my dad) - I barely recognized any of the songs even though he played some of his biggest hits. Towards the end he actually bothered to sing during a few songs instead of just mumbling, and then he sounded quite ok for his age and the songs were recognizable. It was a shame the tickets for the John Fogerty (my dad's a huge fan) show a month later didn't come on sale before christmas, as that would have probably been a lot better.
The funny thing about Dylan is (AFAIK) he's never really been into drugs or anything like you'd think. However, he has this really warped sense of humor and attitude about his "craft." Thus, his mumbling through 90% of the show is done *on purpose* just to fuck with people.

Basically, he's poking fun at the fact that there are people who will pay good money for him to mumble through a show and then claim they "enjoyed" it.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The funny thing about Dylan is (AFAIK) he's never really been into drugs or anything like you'd think. However, he has this really warped sense of humor and attitude about his "craft." Thus, his mumbling through 90% of the show is done *on purpose* just to fuck with people.

Basically, he's poking fun at the fact that there are people who will pay good money for him to mumble through a show and then claim they "enjoyed" it.
Well, if Bob Dylan is into making people who enjoy his work look stupid by throwing the most overzealous, undeserved praise at what essentially amounts to him rambling senilely for 17 minutes about the kennedy assassination, he certainly succeeded with this.

NPR boldly went with this. Proclaiming him a genius for juxtaposing contemporaneous pop culture current event callouts relevent to the songs subject matter with a brief synopsis of events.

Because NPR was too cowardly and pretentious to say, "It's like 'We didn't start the fire', only shittier".

I'm into guys reciting pop culture events and calling it a song, but only if the song has a synth intro as good as "We Didn't Start the Fire".

These are the "incisive and cutting" lyrics in question.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
These are the "incisive and cutting" lyrics in question.
I dunno. Ol' Bob got you to spend that much time analyzing a song he probably wrote during a particularly laborious trip to the bathroom.

Any Dylan mention always makes me think of the middle section of this:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts