Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didnt even knew he had rights to it.

"Hipgnosis Songs Fund, an investment and song management company, acquired a total of 43 songs from Rock, who produced Metallica's '90s discography and 2003's St. Anger."

"The exact amount Rock was paid for the Black Album has not been made public, but one can imagine a large line of zeros at the end of that check."

https://loudwire.com/metallica-prod...5K3dQ-gWn_xJZPa-kBsEhLVxze-CaNJiguXEr1oywtGAY

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
It's things like this that makes you realise that it's probably a good thing that that era of the music industry died on its ass the way it did :lol:

Billy Corgan often talks quite candidly about the horrors of it, and it's things like this that resonate with what he says and the stories he tells. So baffling.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
They probably had to also buy the St Anger songs in order to get the Black songs

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
That company is buying up music everywhere. Probably not a good thing...

·
Read Only
10 Posts
They probably had to also buy the St Anger songs in order to get the Black songs
They probably threw that shitpile in for free, along with Lulu. The way you fill a car with random garbage before having it towed off to the junkyard.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
This is directly a result of companies like Pandora and Spotify. They pay such paltry amounts for streaming music--tantamount to theft, really--that those holding publishing rights are cashing out while they can.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's things like this that makes you realise that it's probably a good thing that that era of the music industry died on its ass the way it did :lol:

Billy Corgan often talks quite candidly about the horrors of it, and it's things like this that resonate with what he says and the stories he tells. So baffling.
Are you implying that producers like Bob Rock don't deserve publishing "points", as was tradition in that era?

It's not always the case, but I think you could easily argue that he made as big of a contribution to the success of that album as any of the individual band members.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Yeah and also the drummer from Fleetwood Mac sold his rights too. It's wild. I'm sorry but I'm on the Steve Vai side of things. No way I would sell my rights to my music or anything I had to do with. And these guys should have plenty of money anyway.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
You are underestimating just how much money Mic Fleetwood spent on blow in the 70s and 80s.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You are underestimating just how much money Mic Fleetwood spent on blow in the 70s and 80s.
Can confirm. A friend of mine's band bought some like 100+ channel mixing console for their studio that was used by Fleetwood in the 80s. He said they had to have the thing serviced because all of the faders and shit were scratchy. I guess when they opened the top to get at the pots/etc, it looked like someone dumped a bag of flour under it. The guts of the thing were covered in moldy old blow. :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Are you implying that producers like Bob Rock don't deserve publishing "points", as was tradition in that era?

It's not always the case, but I think you could easily argue that he made as big of a contribution to the success of that album as any of the individual band members.
No I think I misunderstood the article to be fair. Preaching to the choir there man, huge fan of Bob's style and it's what got me into mixing and AE.

What I thought the article was alluding to was some sort of legal loophole where Bob had lost his rights by way of some sort of contract expiry. This is what happens when you skim-read headlines online.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Can confirm. A friend of mine's band bought some like 100+ channel mixing console for their studio that was used by Fleetwood in the 80s. He said they had to have the thing serviced because all of the faders and shit were scratchy. I guess when they opened the top to get at the pots/etc, it looked like someone dumped a bag of flour under it. The guts of the thing were covered in moldy old blow. :lol:
They might have missed the drug discovery of the century, a combination of blow and shrooms!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts