Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Knives!
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any clips they've recorded with this?

I listened to one in-store a few weeks ago and it blew my mind! Stitch tells me it sucks for metal but It was the sound i'd been hearing in my head. It's been a while so i'd like some reassurance.

It was being played through a Bogner standard cab.

Is it really worse than the Old Ubers?

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
I can't see it sucking for metal. Everything I have heard sounds like it would be amazing for it. I have only seen a few demos. I was seriously considering dropping the cash on one before I bought the axe but the lack of a nice clean channel was a deal breaker.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Don't twist my words. I said that it sucked compared to the old Uberschall - which in case you don't remember, I played almost every day for four months.

When Spud bought his S7420 I tried everything in the booth and i was sorely disappointed by the new Uber - and Sean is in the same boat as me. The 6505, hell even the Stilletto they had in there sounded much better.

·
Knives!
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I need to play it through my own guitar and hear it.

You said it had 'No balls, no guts and no mids'

I seriously felt differently though.

I'm selling my Trip Rec to aid the funds for an Uber. The Clean channel isn't of great importance to me since i'd be using my Axe for it.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
But you'd need a clean channel live for when you pla-:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bollocks. There was precisely fuck all that made that amp worth more than a 6505+ and £1000 change. The original maybe, but this one sucked.

You just want one because you're mancrush owns one. :wub:

·
Knives!
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shut up.

Use the Axe-Fx live for cleans.

There's little chance of me being able to try an old one let alone pick one up.

I just want one because you'll hate me more. :D <3

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Shut up.

Use the Axe-Fx live for cleans.

There's little chance of me being able to try an old one let alone pick one up.

I just want one because you'll hate me more. :D <3
You're never going to play live ever, and even if you did, what would you run the Axe FX through? Through the loop? Good luck with that.

I'd hate you if you bought a limited edition Washburn I wanted, and stole the only bassist in edinburgh who was any good.

Oh wait...

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
the love in this thread is astounding!

if YOUR ears like it, and you can afford it, get it.

I have no experience with this amp, and no opinion of it.

Continue bickering like an old married couple :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Listen, could you two wankers stop flirting for a moment and go back to talking about the amp? :lol:

·
Knives!
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes.

I LOVE it.

Going to the store this week to try it out again. Going to make sure I've cleaned all the wax out my ears just so that I can back my point up.

I'd be interested to hear if anybody has clips of it.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
No, but loads of people have clips of the good one.

You should get the Fender 5150III, since we all know that BMTH used one (I worked in their studio) and I would know...

Did you hear that clanging noise? Sounded like a name dropping...

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
I've demo'd this amp at a local guitar store. Unfortunately, all of the clips from that day (Dual Recto, 5150 III, Twin Jet, Mark V,etc.) were never used since the shop owner and workers were fairly new to mic'ing the amps.

For starters, I've only played through two Bogners - the Twin Jet, and the Ecstasy. The Twin Jet is pretty cool - much more my speed than the ecstasy. It did an early Van Halen tone really well, and handled metal well.
It was a very open sounding amp - surprisingly very little compression for the amount of gain that was going on. Probably the least compressed tone I've ever gotten for metal. It worked incredibly well for Opeth type riffs - lots of open chords and dynamics going on.

My biggest gripe with the Twin Jet was the bass response. For me personally, I like a pretty quick response and a very tight feel. Typically, that means rolling the bass back a bit more than most. When I did that, the sound thinned out a bit, and still retained a moderately woofy tone. Long story short, it wasn't great for a thrashier type vibe. The amp did have a tight feel, it was just a little overbearing on the low end, or too thin when I got the uber lows out.

I'm not sure about the clean capabilities. The shop I was demoing for is trying to appeal to metal players more and more, so we never really messed with dialing that in. I will say though, if you're used to running a single channel amp (relying on the volume and tone pots a lot), it cleaned up VERY well due to it's lack of compression.

I thought it was a VERY unique amp, and I can totally see why a fan of the 6505 wouldn't really like it. It's open, airy, and has shit tons of gain. And as I remember, it was running KT77's for OBSCENE amounts of volume.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to help out :)

·
Knives!
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didnt think the bass response was slow from what I could hear. It had a lot of sub under it but I liked that, beef without sounding 'recto' and I love the fact that it sounds less compressed than amps like rectos because it had a gorgeous midrange that wasn't too warbly. I think I need to try it again though which is why i'm going tomorrow. P.S the amp I tried had KT88's.

What cab did you run it through?

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
I didnt think the bass response was slow from what I could hear. It had a lot of sub under it but I liked that, beef without sounding 'recto' and I love the fact that it sounds less compressed than amps like rectos because it had a gorgeous midrange that wasn't too warbly. I think I need to try it again though which is why i'm going tomorrow. P.S the amp I tried had KT88's.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it had a slow response. You said it better than I was able to.

I ran it through a Mesa 4X12. Not the oversized version - the traditional or whatever it's called now.

You're probably right about the KT88's, haha. I just know it had HUGE amounts of power.

·
Knives!
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I currently own an OS 4x12.

I was kind of hoping to give up my triple rect for something with less headroom. I think the Uber is 150w which is the same as the recto, but it was nowhere near as harsh sounding so it could be down to ear perception.

Usually I don't like amps with a lot of 'sag' because they slow down my playing but this is just uhhh!

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
No, but loads of people have clips of the good one.

You should get the Fender 5150III, since we all know that BMTH used one (I worked in their studio) and I would know...

Did you hear that clanging noise? Sounded like a name dropping...
But BMTH is for people with the last name simmons..

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Yeah I currently own an OS 4x12.

I was kind of hoping to give up my triple rect for something with less headroom. I think the Uber is 150w which is the same as the recto, but it was nowhere near as harsh sounding so it could be down to ear perception.

Usually I don't like amps with a lot of 'sag' because they slow down my playing but this is just uhhh!
The Uberschall is 120 Watts.

I know that if you buy this you'll be trying to sell it in a year or two, and once again you'll be fucked because no one wants them - even less than US Trip Recs. :shrug: To each his own though.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts

Rectos sound compressed when you run the gain too high.. keep it at 4, enjoy the awesome ;)

(yeah i own one and you made a blanket statement, just sayin' - they can get pretty compressed, but only if you want them to)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts