I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Freddie was a goofy cartoon himself, dude. :lol:

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^

Yeah, there's that and it seems, by the trailer, that the movie will reflect his "bigger than life" persona. This is not a documentary.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Is he wearing a prosthetic for the overbite?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Since no one has mentioned it, Rami is an awesome actor and I bet he kills it.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Since no one has mentioned it, Rami is an awesome actor and I bet he kills it.
Im curious about the singing parts. If it will be recordings of freddie or if they pull a walk the line with joaquin. I remember Sasha baron cohen was originally cast as freddie and it was easy to see because of how much he would look like freddie with the mustache

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Of course someone got butthurt (heh) by the trailer. :lol:

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, I think he’s being overly sensitive about the trailer. Freddie himself wouldn’t want to be defined only by his battle with AIDS. Not to mention Mary Austin was the most important person in his life, even after being more open about his sexuality.

The trailer focuses on a very narrow section of time. The movie may cover a lot more, we don’t know yet.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
So, I had to go back and consciously look for stuff featuring Freddie with a woman. There was one quick bit where he was standing with two women, and near the end a bit where he picked up and was spinning a woman (probably Mary Austin). Both clips were about the same length as the one of him pulling a man closer to him. Of course, there were plenty of shots of women in the audience fawning over him, but that makes him no different than every single other charismatic singer of a wildly successful rock band.

Bryan Fuller really is just trying to find something to be angry about.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Sometime ago I saw a Documentary about Freddie and the actor (John Blunt ) on it was 99.9% him. Sometimes I forgot i was watching a representation because he looked so real:

Ill go see the movie but so far im not convinced.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Bryan Fuller really is just trying to find something to be angry about.
Basically.

I grew up around the time that a lot of that "stuff" was going on, with Freddie Mercury dying, Magic Johnson being diagnosed with HIV, the cast member on the Real World who had AIDs (and subsequently died) and obviously Rob Halford coming out a few years later. It was all a very vivid part of my youth and in pop culture, and I distinctly remember all the media coverage, the stigmatizing and the tabloidism of the whole thing.

On the Freddie Mercury front, I distinctly remember seeing a lot of documentaries and coverage around that time and shortly thereafter about all kinds of speculation surrounding "who knew what, and when", regarding Mercury's homosexuality and AIDs diagnosis. And of course there was all the stuff about "oh, well, everybody always KNEW he was gay... look at him up on stage!" and the tabloids about all that stuff about him going back to '86 but OFFICIALLY, he was 'wink wink' about being gay for most of his public life and he denied having AIDs pretty much all the way through to the end.

Yeah, one angle would be to say that he was somehow "tortured" because he wasn't more open about those things when they were going on but it was also a VERY different time and I think I've heard it said of him that he didn't want either thing to define him, which was a very likely thing then. If the movie's going to deny that either of those circumstances are true that's one thing but if it's about the rise of Queen, primarily between 1970 and on to the late 1980s (based on what I'm seeing in the trailer), the musicianship of the band and Freddie Mercury the performer are and were 'front and center'. Saying that his personal life needed to be central in the < two-minute long trailer for the movie is counter to everything Mercury was, near as I can tell.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts