Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interview: Joe Bonamassa - Restless Pick Syndrome - Premier Guitar

What's the current status of Black Country Communion?
As far as I'm concerned, my involvement is pretty much done, and I'll tell you why: Originally, I did it for the same reasons I did the stuff with Beth Hart and Rock Candy Funk Party-it was an excuse to play a different kind of music that I don't get to play normally.

The first two records were a blast-the band is fantastic when the Ritalin kicks in, the ADD goes away, and everyone's focused. It's a devastatingly good rock band of the early-1970s type, and Glenn is a fantastic singer-just one of the best ever. So I did it and did a nine-week tour in 2011 that really, by the end of it, wasn't fun for me. It wasn't because I didn't like the cats in the band, but it was just too much-too much involved in getting people from place to place and getting the band onstage. Everybody seemed to be very tense, and it made my crew very tense, and it's not the way I like to tour. I run a family-I have 21 people who go on the road with me all the time, and if you asked them who was the cause of the least of their problems, they would say me. Unless there was no Diet Coke-then it's a huge [expletive] problem, and either I'm going to the supermarket or somebody else is [laughs].

But it just wasn't fun for me anymore. All the stuff that Glenn says in the media, essentially pinning it on me-that I was the reason for the band's lack of touring and the band's lack of future. It became rapidly not fun at all. It would be dishonest of me to get onstage and pretend like I'm having fun to please the band. I'm just not the guitar player for that band, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any out-of-work guitar players in L.A. that they can get. There are so many guys that can fill that role and I would be the first guy to queue up and buy a ticket. So that's my story with it. I'm happily not involved anymore, but I'm happy with the legacy that I left with that band and happy with the records we made. It was a great three years for me.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Bummer...

Maybe John Sykes would join? That would be sick!

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
:(
I totally understand but that was one of my favorite line-ups ever. Such a killer band.
This. Plenty of people have talked about what a pain Glenn Hughes is to work with. The other two are just as pro as they come.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Maybe I've just listened to him too much. But I actually prefer listening to joe 'noodling' on gear demos to his actual albums nowadays. :shrug:
His new stuff is so clean and cold and overly produced and just fucking boring. There's no fire in it, there's no edge to any of what he's playing, it's just bland. He's doing a Clapton...

·
Registered
708 Posts
:( BCC is (was?) fantastic.

I do have to wonder...who are these 21 people that Bonamassa takes with him everywhere? Sounds like quite a crew to support one guy.
When I saw him in Sydney last year, he had quite a bit of gear and that was a much smaller production. He usually has 3 or 4 amps, plus his drummer has a decent sized kit and his bass player has a sizeable rig. They're actually a phenomenonal band. It doesn't so much seem like joe playing solo, it really feels like a band. Absolutely loved the show. I can see why he takes 21 people.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Paging Dr. Guthrie Govan, you're wanted in BCC.
That'd be kind of an odd fit, since BCC seems to be vacillating stylistically between Gov't Mule and Led Zeppelin :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Paging Dr. Guthrie Govan, you're wanted in BCC.
He's already got too many gigs, as it is. BCC would need more of a classic rock guy, anyway.

My guess is that BCC is kaput, since Hughes already seems to be moving onto the next thing. He's talking about a new solo album, and he's got some touring project with John5 going on.

Bonamassa got in a little dig on Hughes with that ADD comment. Glenn is notoriously hyper and difficult to deal with in a band, even though he seems like a good guy. He's been on a tear since he got sober in 1992, doing at least one album a year and sometimes more. Problem is, I don't think he's good at chilling or being in a band of equals. He stays off drugs by being constantly "on" as a musician.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Eh, I don't think BCC is his kind of band.

Jake E. Lee would fit right in, though.
:agreed:

Jake E. Lee or John Sykes in my opinion would be great!

John Skyes has a chance because he played with Derek Sherinian on one of his albums. So he has that connection.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.