Votes: 5 12.8%
  • noodles.

Votes: 8 20.5%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently fucking about with my VERY basic pedal set-up. Just after a bit of input, do you guys run your pedals up front, before your amp, or in the loop?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Boosts always before the amp.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Boost is the last thing in my signal chain before hitting the front of the amp.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The only exception to this is when I run my CAE Line Driver/Boost (which is just a straight up transparent volume boost) to give a +3 or +4db kick in the loop to act like a Mesa/Boogie footswitchable "solo" boost. A volume jump in the loop is very different from a volume jump before the preamp.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently run mine in front of the amp too, dunno if I'm being retarded by even thinking of putting it in the loop like :lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
When I had my Dual Rectifier I always put the boost in front. Most effects I put in the effects loop, but if I did want some effects up front they were always between the guitar and the boost. If you put the boost in the middle of the chain then you are boosting whatever effects come after it, and that isn't always desirable.

If you put the boost in the effects loop then you are putting more drive into the power amp. This could be nice if you want a browner cranked plexi type of sound, but it will do very little for you if you want a tightened up metal sound.

Experiment with it, but I think you will prefer the boost as the last in the chain in front of the amp.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also keep in mind that level-boosting between preamp and power amp gives a DRAMATIC volume increase (similar to bumping up the master volume), while level-boosting into a preamp (especially a high-gain one) merely causes the preamp to compress and saturate more, with a relatively low volume increase (if there is one at all.)

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
My rule of thumb has always been this - if you want an effect to change the sound of an overdriven amp, put it in the loop. If you want it to change the WAY an amp overdrives, however, put it out front. Most guys using a boost aren't looking to take their overdriven sound and add something on top of it, like another layer - they want to change the way the low end of the sound distorts in the first place. Thus, out front.

I guess it's worth noting this is a slight break from conventional wisdom in a few important ways - most people advocate putting time-based effects (say, a chorus), in the FX loop. Normally this makes sense, but if what you're after is that churning, chewy, Jimi-inspired pulsing distortion, then what you really want is not a chorused distortion sound, but a chorus pushing an amp in and out of distortion. It's just a matter of thinking logically about what you want.

Reactions: Nyarlath

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
i have my boost in front of my delay in front of my amp. am i the only one that does this?
Probably, yes. :lol:

I do this also, as my amp doesn't have an fx loop, and boosting after the delay makes the delay louder and doesn't sound so good.
Oups. :D

Time based FX : in da loop. That's where they sound good. I agree with what Drew said, but IMO, maybe 5-10% of players will do it that way.

So no loop, no delay. lol

·
Boogadee Oogadee
1,209 Posts
My rule of thumb has always been this - if you want an effect to change the sound of an overdriven amp, put it in the loop. If you want it to change the WAY an amp overdrives, however, put it out front. Most guys using a boost aren't looking to take their overdriven sound and add something on top of it, like another layer - they want to change the way the low end of the sound distorts in the first place. Thus, out front.

I guess it's worth noting this is a slight break from conventional wisdom in a few important ways - most people advocate putting time-based effects (say, a chorus), in the FX loop. Normally this makes sense, but if what you're after is that churning, chewy, Jimi-inspired pulsing distortion, then what you really want is not a chorused distortion sound, but a chorus pushing an amp in and out of distortion. It's just a matter of thinking logically about what you want.
i messed around with putting a boss ge7 eq pedal in my roadster chain.... up front, not much difference unless i set the eq up for really extreme settings.

however, in the loop, either before or after the g-major, subtle eq adjustments made for dramatic sound changes. it was a very cool way to get different sounds out of one channel. I might mess around with using it to get lead tone on my rhythm channel - have it spike the mids and tame the highs for a nice cool smooth lead tone... something like a classic Carlos Santana thing....

with other subtle settings, the post pre-amp eqing sounded like it had the potential to make the modern 4th channel absolutely roar. can't wait to try it at band volume. my amp is dark - so i'm interested in experimenting with new ways to add highs w/o adding pre-amp gain (which the treble knob seems to do).

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I haven't run a boost since my TriAxis. Haven't felt the need. Maybe I'll spend today fiddling with it.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I get massive tone by boosting between the power section and the cab :yesway:

Can't seem to figure out why I go through so many boost pedals though :scratch:
...Or so many power transformers? :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts