Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here's the goal. I have a USB stick and I have an early 2011 intel MBP. I want to be able to install and boot Ubuntu from the USB stick. I tried following these instructions:

Download | Ubuntu

to create a bootable USB stick. When I boot up my mac and hold option to see all bootable drives I don't see the USB stick and I think I may know why. Intel mac's obviously work with EFI instead of BIOS, and when I burn the iso image to the USB drive (even though I had already formatted it to GPT like other mac bootable drives) it gets formatted to MBR. So I think this is the problem, partially anyways. :lol: I know there are probably a ton of ways to make this work with rEFIt and stuff, but this is the way I want to do it.

I don't have access to an existing linux install or any VM
I do NOT want to load or make any changes to my actual hard drive that has OSX and bootcamped Windows 7 on it
I want everything to be done and stored/saved on USB stick, that's it.

Nerds and geeks, help me out! Can this be done?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I did this on my sister's laptop a couple months ago (PC) and it worked like a charm.

Stupid question, but are you following the instructions on the "pendrive" or whatever site? They worked pretty flawlessy for me.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll look in pendrive I haven't looked their yet, on a normal pc that has a BIOS and uses MBR this wouldn't be a problem but since I have a Mac that uses EFI/GPT it's a little more difficult I imagine

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Trying to create bootable Linux usbs from within osx is a lost cause. Just throw up a vm in virtualbox and do it from the Ubuntu app. Save yourself the murderous rage :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ugh I am SO close to having this working! I followed every step below from this site:

[all variants] [SOLVED] Bootable Ubuntu Flash Drive, Works On PC and Mac - Ubuntu Forums

I had to modify a couple of steps cause they didn't match up with the most up to date Ubuntu installation I'm using but it's pretty straightforward, I get to the last part and it shows the USB "refit" stick at the boot menu on my Mac where I can choose which volume to boot, and I choose the USB stick with refit and choose Linux but it keeps booting me into windows from my boot camp partition! Ugh I am so close to making this work help!

Edit: I can't get the live cd to boot on my Mac, so I had to install Ubuntu to my USB using my wife's toshiba...I wonder if that's messing things up somehow?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts