Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked these up with Marriott points. :metal:

Reviews seem pretty solid, so here's hopin' they don't suck!

I'll tell you in two weeks, since they apparently ship them via carrier pigeon. :lol:

Order Date Order # Items in Order Status
5/21/2010 Bose Companion 5 PROCESSING ORDER -
Expected Delivery Date: 06-11-2010

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I've been wanting to grab a set of those for ages! You'll have to let me know how they sound! I don't see the point for 7.1 or 5.1 on a pc when I'm sat at a desk with only room for 2 speakers :lol: I'll use some headphones if I wanna scare myself shitless playing games, that's what the X-fi Fatal1ty is for :lol: And hey, don't knock the carrier pigeon, it's faster than transferring a 2gb file if you're South African!

·
18,790 Posts
Bose stuff is all really decent. I've got a set of Bose headphones that sound really good, though there's a design flaw that caused them to break structurally, they still function thanks to some well placed tape :lol: (I got them for free, so I don't give a shit :lol: )

My only problem with Bose is that they're not as good as they claim to be (since they claim to be "the best" and there's a lot of stuff as good or better out there) and they're a bit overpriced compared to similar quality products from other companies. But since it sounds like you didn't pay for them, you should be quite pleased :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love their headphones and home audio gear. I have the Companion 2's right now and they're great at low volume, but not so much up high. The 5's were basically free, so I figure why the hell not.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I hope they don't suck for your sake. Bill (pops) has a saying when it comes to Bose. Buy Other Sound Equipment :)
The thing with Bose is their market niche is small, compact sound systems that sound quiet a bit bigger than they actually are. As long as you know you're paying a premium for compactness and are OK with that, they make sense. If, however, your focus is on quality of sound, size and appearance be damned, there are other more cost-effective alternatives out there.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They showed up today.

:yesway: Pros: Damn loud, shit-tons of bass, sound a bajillion times better than the companion 2's. Subwoofer makes a perfecto footrest.

:noway: Cons: No remote sub control, knob is on the back of the sub, on the floor. (wtf?)

I was on the fence about just eBaying them since they were essentially free, but they sound great, and the speakers are removable from the stands so I can mount 'em on the wall, which means more desk space.

I dig. Wouldn't buy them retail, though. I don't think they're much better (if any) than most of the logitech/etc brands I've tried that are half the price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.