Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently ampless and about to go to uni. I need something which I can use for a bit of recording and practice into headphones/monitors. I doubt I'll be gigging regularly to be honest. I've found GT8s and XT Lives for reasonable prices over here and I can't decide between the two. As far as I can tell:

Boss: Can use 4-cable method, better effects, (Looks like it might be built better, to me, at last)

Line 6: Better amp sims (providing I get one with the Metal Shop pack), USB patch editing and recording (only really useful if I sell my interface)

Is that about right?

·
18,790 Posts
You should be able to use the 4-cable method with the XT Live too AFAIK. Though, personally, I wouldn't bother with the XT, I'd go right for the X3 Live. The ability to layer 2 signal paths together really makes things sound better.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've got a couple of friends who own a GT-8 and I'm never blown away by the tones they get out of it.

:2c:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The GT-8 can also do the dual-amp thing. Personally, i like the BOSS offerings, because i think the modeling is better, and they're more versatile than just about anything else i've tried short of an Axe-FX.

The advantage of the POD is it can interface with PodFarm and other Line6 stuff, whereas i don't think the GT-8 even has an editor.

But my preference is for the GT-8 (or GT-10 if you have the budget).

·
Carvin Crazy
119 Posts
You should be able to use the 4-cable method with the XT Live too AFAIK. Though, personally, I wouldn't bother with the XT, I'd go right for the X3 Live. The ability to layer 2 signal paths together really makes things sound better.
Unfortunately, you can't do 4CM with the XTL.
In order to do 4CM, both your amp and your MFX unit have to have an effects loop.

Guitar---> MFX input. MFX send ---> AMP input. Amp send ---> MFX return. MFX output ---> Amp return.

The XTL doesn't have an FX loop.
Units like the L6 X3L, Boss GT10, Rocktron G300, Zoom 9.2tt do.

I use my XTL with my Carvin V3 right now.
I only use the XTL for effects through the V3 effects loop.
Chorus, delay, reverb, etc...
I do like the fact that both the V3 and XTL are midi.
So, I can use my XTL as a controller as well.

Eventually, I think I'm going to move over to the L6 M13.
Which is effects only, midi, 4CM capable.
And you can set the M13 up in latch mode. which then gives you the ability to save your setups as patches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.