Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Won a bid on a Framus Dragon off ebay for 700 thought I got a decent deal. Just got it in today was pretty excited as its my first tube head (kind of). After messing with the settings for awhile and looking up some other peoples settings this amp just isn't sounding like I think it should. It sounds extremely "fizzy" and "thin", and seems to be lacking a lot of gain. All around it just doesn't sound right, was expecting some good tones (Adam D, Mitch Harris).

The guy I got it off of supposedly re-tubed it with some tung sols. I started adjusting the bias and checking the readings and all noticing one tube was running super hot (35mA while the rest were at 25). I swapped that tube into another spot and it read hot in that spot which I assume means its the tube not the "socket". Don't know if maybe that power tube is bad? Or if the pre amps are? Would they make it sound this bad anyways?

Can you guys help me out on what I should do here. Im not really sure seeing as its my first and im really bummed out right now ive been waiting a long time to drop a lot on a serious amp.

Thanks in advance to any help. Oh and hello everyone my names Taylor.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
Yeah dude, take it to a tech. You should have no problem getting a Dragon to sound thick and ballsy if its working properly.

Edit: Also, that's a fucking STEAL if you can get it to work like new again. Congrats! Amazing amps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah ive checked out some clips of em and mine definitely doesn't sound like that. Anyone know a good place I can take it too in the Kansas City area / how to find one? Do the "mainstream" shops offer those types of services (guitar center)?

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
This. So much this. Hopefully it turns out to be something simple man, because that's a shitload of amp for $700.
Mine was ~$1400 used. Granted it looked great and sounded even better right off the bat, but saving about half of what a used one goes for would definitely be worth the extra trouble. If its something simple and fixable, that is. Really hope that's the case here.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
You misspelled sheep. Not sure what how scottish he is has to do with anything.

Guy certainly knows about tubes though.

·
Plum crazy
22 Posts
Well I think it bears mentioning that many guys feel framus amps can sound fizzy with extreme eq settings. That and if I remember correctly Adam D used a cobra not a dragon. And even then the Iconic killswitch sound many feel is the tone on End of heartache which is reportedly largely a 5150. Are you using a boost? I use a maxon with every amp I buy and really cant live without the damn thing. Again this is a huge contributor to the KSE sound as well. Another thing to remember is that when you see videos on youtube of amps the sound your hearing on the recording is ALWAYS going to be different than what you hear in the room. Even with playthrough videos. There are a few reasons for this. One is your guitar cabinet is very directional. And the sound you hear in the room with an amp is going to vary greatly depending on where your ear is in relation to the speaker. Having the cab aimed at your legs means a lot of highs get lost which leads many guitarists to crank the treble and presence with poor results. When you hear a recorded guitar on a youtube video most good reviewers mic the cab. And as such that mic is placed in a very specific location right in front of the cab. Rarely if ever will you ever be in a position where your ear will be in this same location when playing live or in a bedroom. As such achieving a recorded sound in your bedroom isnt really a realistic goal unless your using modeling gear with PA type equipment. Another issue is that I find when recording a guitar you need almost 1/4 the amount of gain you would normally need to get a certain amount of distortion to register with your ear than if you were in the room with the amp. I have heard numerous reasons for this yet never have I had enough understanding of it all to know why this is. All I know is that my EVH doesnt sound nearly as gainy in person as it does on video.

·
Plum crazy
22 Posts
While your points are quite valid, from his description it seems more likely that there is something wrong with the amp rather than just a case of misplaced expectations. I never use an OD, and I have no problems getting it to sound huge without sounding too fizzy.
And im not saying that there isnt something wrong with the amp. Im simply stating things he may not have thought about. Bottom line is sound is very subjective. And what sounds great to you could sound like shit to another. And my points about the overdrive were in relation to the sound he is trying to achieve which heavily rely on the use of such a device. Now if he had said Im trying to get the tone of ShawnF then overdrives would be moot. And still again, what sounds "huge" and not fizzy to you may sound exactly like the opposite to someone else. There are some people who think a 6505+ is a amplified wasp nest. Others think it is tone mecca. Who is wrong in that situation?

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

purpledc said:
While your points are quite valid, from his description it seems more likely that there is something wrong with the amp rather than just a case of misplaced expectations. I never use an OD, and I have no problems getting it to sound huge without sounding too fizzy.
And im not saying that there isnt something wrong with the amp. Im simply stating things he may not have thought about. Bottom line is sound is very subjective. And what sounds great to you could sound like shit to another. And my points about the overdrive were in relation to the sound he is trying to achieve which heavily rely on the use of such a device. Now if he had said Im trying to get the tone of ShawnF then overdrives would be moot. And still again, what sounds "huge" and not fizzy to you may sound exactly like the opposite to someone else. There are some people who think a 6505+ is a amplified wasp nest. Others think it is tone mecca. Who is wrong in that situation?
The person who thinks the 6505+, when properly dialled in, sounds like an amplified wasps nest is wrong. Period. :lol: that's not a subjective thing, those amps just don't sound like that.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts

The person who thinks the 6505+, when properly dialled in, sounds like an amplified wasps nest is wrong. Period. :lol: that's not a subjective thing, those amps just don't sound like that.
indeed his point is valid within reason but this isnt the case in this scenario here. The OP should still be able to dial in a non fizzy, chunky tone on this amp with minimal effort.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
To be fair, Kevan's Cobra was extremely fizzy at low volumes.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
To be fair, Kevan's Cobra was extremely fizzy at low volumes.
Cobras sound much more fizzy than Dragons, to my ears, especially at lower volumes.

Exactly. Thanks for helping further push my point along. :wub:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.