Metal Guitarist Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so to follow up on what Dave said in the Gotoh Floyd thread. What's the general consensus with floydupgrade's brass blocks, and the others I'm seeing on EBay (including one for the Wilkinson VS100).

An essential upgrade?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I've never got to do a direct " replace block and restring and go" a/b on them before, but I've heard a few guitars with the upgrade before and after over longer periods of time ( including an rg270, my first axe which my brother upgraded after I gave it to him), and while the old tone wasn't necessarily fresh in my head, it was better with the new block than I remembered it being before. I'm gonna try and snag the huge 849473865418mm one with the L on it to try on the chattel, so I can chime in more then

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
They ought to just call it the fat mod, since that is what it does for your tone. All that case hardened stainless steel that makes a Floyd Rose so durable and reliable also thins out your sound. Now, consider that my ProtoV has the standard KxK maple neck blank a mile wide, and stainless steel frets, and you can probably tell that it was gonna be...uh, bright. :lol:

I bought the block based on Kevan and others talking it up, and I don't regret it a bit. It adds back a lot of midrange girth that the Floyd takes out. The downside? The bridge doesn't flutter as much, so if that is a integral part of your style, this upgrade will not work for you.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Cool - I should probably look into this. I :wub: midrange.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Honestly, I think that is more along the lines of "replace flimsy spring claw with something that won't warp as easily". However, if you're gonna do that, why not just go with steel?
Except, when have you EVER bent/warped a spring claw through normal use?

And IIRC, brass is an awfully soft metal.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

i have seen some paper thin fucking claws that are all dented and warped dude. like, THIN. definitely not standard sized ones, but like ibanez starter pack claws.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I haven't, just speculating. :shrug:

Notice my comment about using steel instead.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Broadly speaking, soft (weak) metal = warm, hard (strong) metal = cold in terms of musical acoustic properties. It has to do with the velocity of sound in the material -- steel transmits sound almost twice as fast as brass. It's a similar reason as to why ebony is bright but rosewood is warm.

In order to warm up the sound, since the bridge is mated to the body wood through both post contact and the trem claw anchor bolts, I would certainly argue that making the entire transmission path brass would move you in the direction of that property (warmness in tone) -- even doing the studs in brass.

However, whether that's desirable or not is another matter. It could become dull-sounding. In addition, wear characteristics are important, and one reason these springs are expensive is probably that they are a premium grade brass that is stronger (stiffer) than usual. They might also be wound differently so that they have a stiffness characteristic similar to the steel springs. If either of those suppositions is true, I'm not sure I'm be convinced they'd impart a massive difference.

Would be cool if someone felt like trying 'em out and reporting back. :yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Ah, well, I suppose it is a bit of a custom piece or something, and again is a high grade ("bell brass") but $20 is a rip. Then again, so are boutique pickups, so... :shrug:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Let me know how the block works for the Wilkinson. I might have to get one for the Wilkinson in my Carvin.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Man, talk about an awesome market niche to jump in on. I wonder what the profit margins on those are?

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
I'm also seeing these guys sell blocks for other bridges as well. Killer Guitar Components | KillerGuitarComponents.com
Can't recommend these guys highly enough, I've bought three blocks from them now & each is absolutely superb. Their customer service is great (one man & his son business) as well.

I add a brass block as standard to any news guitar that I get & plan on keeping long term/recording/playing live. The block just seems to make the guitar come alive, with more sustain but also clearer, more bell-like musical tone.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I just installed a new bridge on my G&L strat (the original one had become essentially a giant piece of rust), but I swapped the original zinc block from the old bridge onto the new bridge in place of the steel block, just because I wanted to keep the same tone. I'm sure the steel block sounds fine (it's a very heavy piece of metal), but I like the warmer tone that my G&L had when I got it. Both bridges had large blocks compared to the small ones that Fenders typically come with, but that kind of hardware quality is one of the benefits of getting a G&L.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.