Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's Your opinions on the Epiphone Brent Hinds? I currently own a Gibby 120 Flying V, with BB Pro's but how would the Epi compare to it? Would I be better off bying a new set of pup's for the Gibby? I really like the neck of the Gibby, and I'm a bit concerned, that the neck of the Epi will be too "fat". I don't have the opportunity to "try before buy", as it would be a web-deal...

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
If your only issue with the V is the pickups then hit the used market and try other pickups. If you want a new guitar, that's different.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually decided to pull the trigger on a used Brent Hinds Epi. The dude decided to part with it after only 3 days. Saved me 200 $ and a gigbag? It will be delivered tomorrow.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I played a Brent sig a couple weeks ago for about 30 seconds, neck was so fucking big I didn't have the desire to play it much longer than that, which was a bummer, I love the look.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
To be fair, the last few recent Epis I've played (Including a Thunderhorse Explorer that I *really* wanted to like, a mid-range LP, and one of the small-body semi-hollows) have been shitpiles that generally looked nice but had a range of issues from the dreaded "dull, dead plank" to problems with frets, action, and finishing. Play before you buy, or make sure Jeff has approved the return policy first.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
No other manufacturer can churn out high priced duds quite like Gibson. For every $2000 Les Paul I've played that was awesome, I've probably played two dozen complete lifeless planks.
A few people keep saying that around here, but in practice i have not found that to be true in My experiences. I tried a few new pauls at a couple shops this weekend and they all felt solid as fuck. In fact, almost every gibby iv pulled off a wall in the last few years feels solid to me.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Joey said something to me once... "buy the guitar that inspires you to play."
So true.

I think us humans are highly influenced by the name / history of a brand, especially when it's been there for a long time and it's part of our "culture". Even if it rest on its past glory à la Gibson. Everybody knows that guy that firmly believes Gibson is still great and still make the greatest guitars in the world because he owns that great 67 LP, right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I'll have to say, that the quality of the Brent is most definately on par(or better), than my Gibby 120(which I love). The neck is big, yes. Very big. But fortunately I have big hands. And those Hammerclaws are NICE! This is by FAR the best Epiphone, I have ever played. But then again; It's also more expensive, that most Epi's...

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Obviously this doesn't mean much, but pretty much every time I see that guitar mentioned, people say the quality is closer to Gibson than Epiphone. :shrug: I wonder if it's similar to LTD, where you can't see the quality differences on the spec list (it seems like the LTD signature models get more QC attention than the Deluxes).

V's are too flashy for me; if it was an Explorer or LP, I would have seriously considered buying it.

I played a Brent sig a couple weeks ago for about 30 seconds, neck was so fucking big I didn't have the desire to play it much longer than that, which was a bummer, I love the look.
I forget if it's just a "Fat 50's" profile or if they specifically call it a '58. But I quickly played the LP Custom 1955 Outfit, which is the same profile IIRC, and that neck was huge. I like fatter necks, and it seemed borderline unplayable. I could have just not spent enough time with it, but it seemed so uncomfortably big that I put it right back.

No other manufacturer can churn out high priced duds quite like Gibson. For every $2000 Les Paul I've played that was awesome, I've probably played two dozen complete lifeless planks.
This. I love Gibsons, so before I paid for that Tele, I went through the store and played most of the Gibsons within my budget. Most of them seemed no better than Epiphones and/or had pretty awful finishing flaws. Pretty sad when your budget guitars are more consistent than your premium ones.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wasn't there also a big kerfuffle between Hinds and Gibson about the QC of his signature guitar(s)? That may have something to do with it.

I forget who went to PRS and who went to ESP but I don't think they play Gibson anymore anyway.

·
18,790 Posts
Wasn't there also a big kerfuffle between Hinds and Gibson about the QC of his signature guitar(s)? That may have something to do with it.

I forget who went to PRS and who went to ESP but I don't think they play Gibson anymore anyway.
Bill went to ESP, Brent was the one who made the comments about Gibson, then said "That's why I went with Epiphone." It's impossible to know, at any given time, whether that dude is serious, trolling, or legitimately crazy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts