Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad news...

Former MALEVOLENT CREATION frontman Bret Hoffmann has died after a battle with stage 4 colon cancer. He was only 51 years old.

The news of Bret's passing was revealed by his wife, Kimberly Karan Hoffmann. She wrote on Facebook: "Today is the saddest day of my life. I just lost my soulmate, the love of my [life]. My best friend has passed away. I will always love [you], RIP, my love."

Former Malevolent Creation Singer Bret Hoffmann Dead At 51 - Blabbermouth.net

Their first record is one of the finest Death Metal albums of all time and that I listed countless time and even had the LP... (lost forever as it was lend to a friend andnever returned). His voice and singing style was ahead of times IMO

·
Los Cochinos
994 Posts
That quote from his wife...truly sad and just awful to hear. I was just listening to The Ten Commandments this morning and later heard the news. Rest in peace.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Man, I'm so out of touch.

I met Jay Black about 5 years ago, had no clue who Malevolent Creation was, no clue of Jay's history, etc. We were at a party/show in Hialeah where both our bands were playing (not Malevolent Creation, some side band Jay was in)...found out he lived right around the corner from me when I saw him a couple days later at Publix. I still see him at least once every two weeks.

Fast forward a year or two and I see him on Blabbermouth for posting racist shit on his FB. This totally took me by surprise because, by this point, I had spoken with Jay quite often and never would have caught this personality from him and I had no clue he was in a "newsworthy" band at all.

Opening FB this morning, I see a ton of friends posting about Bret and then a Blabbermouth article about him. I'm not sure I've even heard a Malevolent Creation tune, I really had no clue how much of an influence they were in the genre. I'm not sure I ever met Bret, but with the amount of people we're mutually friends with, there's a good chance we've crossed paths at least once.

I'm definitely going to dig into their music. It always escapes my mind that South Florida was a hotbed for death metal and I feel less of myself for not knowing the history of it all while living here.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Terrible news. Retribution gets regular play in this household.
Malevolent Creation were very consistent with hitting up London with tour dates in recent times; it was great to hear and see Brett belt out those trademark long growls and screams.

It's a shame that some of the more sensationalist metal news sites tarred him with along with the more controversial members of M.C.
Brett seemed to be happy to converse with some of my gig going acquaintances who are of Indian and Jamaican descent.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Terrible news. Retribution gets regular play in this household.
Malevolent Creation were very consistent with hitting up London with tour dates in recent times; it was great to hear and see Brett belt out those trademark long growls and screams.

It's a shame that some of the more sensationalist metal news sites tarred him with along with the more controversial members of M.C.
Brett seemed to be happy to converse with some of my gig going acquaintances who are of Indian and Jamaican descent.
I was hesitant to make this post, because my only outlet to M.C. has been Jay Black (Jason Blachowicz) who was caught up in some of the racist/bullshit stuff. If I remember right, someone posted something on his FB and he laughed at it. If it was more than that, I'm mistaken, but I remember at the time thinking, "Oh, come on....this probably shouldn't have been shared publicly, but it's not a cry for war.". We literally shop at the same grocery store and see each other a few times a week, for the last 5 years, I've never once heard an ill word out of the dude and he was more than kind to me after watching my band play years ago, where we all sat around getting shitfaced in the boonies of Hialeah, Fla.

It's still crazy to me, to see the amount of people talking about M.C.....and I've gone this whole time not knowing a thing about them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts