Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is just fucking fantastic!

The number of different tones he gets just from tweaking his guitars controls is fascinating.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I have this album, but I never saw the video! Awesome, thanks!

That is a LOT of AC-30s!

The descending dual-delay part at just before 6:00 is my favorite, although the harmonized descending line at around 8:30 is awesome too.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
The ultimate homemade guitar. Probably one of the few truly irreplaceable guitars on the planet.

I'd nominate May as one of the most original rock guitarists ever. He sounded unique even on the first Queen album.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I was reading up on it. Unique semi-hollow oak construction (from a 200 year old fireplace) with mahogany veneer top, back and sides, 24" scale, painted oak fingerboard, zero fret, tremolo made out of motorcycle parts and his mom's sewing gear, hand-cut MOP inlays... the pickups he ended up with doubled the cost of his guitar, which to that point was about 8 pounds. :lol: The old lady sings!

BTW even at 24" scale and standard tuning, he uses .008-.038" strings and somehow picks with a sixpence because plastic picks "are too soft." :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I seem to recall he originally tried winding his own pickups too, not sure if that's what he ended up using or not. I also remember hearing somewhere that the inlays are buttons (like, off a shirt) :lol:
He did wind his own pickups but they sounded too dark, and he also said that he had alternating magnet orientations across the poles that caused his tone to get all scratchy and weird when he bent strings. He bought a set of Burns Tri-Sonic pickups and half a dozen manufacturers including Duncan and DiMarzio have made copies for the various replica guitars. :D And you're right about the buttons, he filed them down.

The neck also has two wormholes in it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
To say nothing of six switches and two knobs.

The neck profile is apparently gigantic, and identical in profile and depth from nut to body.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
To say nothing of six switches and two knobs.

The neck profile is apparently gigantic, and identical in profile and depth from nut to body.
I read 22-24 mm thick - is that gigantic? I'm sure it's very round. It think it's a 7.25" radius too :lol:

Just goes to show that people who whine about their guitars holding them back are full of shit.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
The Article Eric Posted said:
May, now the chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University, recently oversaw the remastering of several Queen albums.
Dude he's even cooler than the cool bass-playing university dean in the Simpsons.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To make things even wierder on the Red Special, the PUs are all wired in series, and each one has an individual on/off button plus a phase switch...

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
After playing some of the replica guitars, the neck isn't huge at all. They are quite nice actually. Very interesting guitars to play, I love them.

Brian May is probably one of my biggest influences, maybe even my main influence in lead playing, I love everything he does. One thing though, don't go onto Brian May forums if you don't want pure nerddom. People complaing about AC30s not having the exact speakers Brian May has, people complaining about certain Treble Boosters using silicon transistors rather than germanium, its all a bit much...

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
After playing some of the replica guitars, the neck isn't huge at all. They are quite nice actually. Very interesting guitars to play, I love them.

Brian May is probably one of my biggest influences, maybe even my main influence in lead playing, I love everything he does. One thing though, don't go onto Brian May forums if you don't want pure nerddom. People complaing about AC30s not having the exact speakers Brian May has, people complaining about certain Treble Boosters using silicon transistors rather than germanium, its all a bit much...

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I really like Brian May... don't care much for the band he's in, though. ;)

I'm so impressed that he's essentially played one guitar for his entire career. (I'm assuming he's still playing the original Red Special.) Every other guitar giant has worn their main guitar out (Blackie, Evo, etc.) or moved on to signature instruments. Yet he keeps playing the home-made one he built as a teenager, and it's become iconic.

Love his tones.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I'm so impressed that he's essentially played one guitar for his entire career. (I'm assuming he's still playing the original Red Special.) Every other guitar giant has worn their main guitar out (Blackie, Evo, etc.) or moved on to signature instruments. Yet he keeps playing the home-made one he built as a teenager, and it's become iconic.
He's had the Red Special restored once, unfortunately, I think in the 90's. Parts of the mahogany had to be filled in and stuff, he'd simply worn through the veneer.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
He's had the Red Special restored once, unfortunately, I think in the 90's. Parts of the mahogany had to be filled in and stuff, he'd simply worn through the veneer.
Also, he has played copies of it at times, to make it easier on the Red Special, namely Guyton and then I think Greg Fryer built some for him that he's used on more recent tours. He still takes the Red Special all the time though, it isn't a stay at home guitar.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I'm sure he can afford sufficient security to guard the Red Special at all times.

Queen was amazingly popular in Japan, so companies there have produced detailed copies of the Red Special for many years, from what I understand.

Interestingly enough, an old college friend of mine is a long-time lead singer in Queen tribute bands in Japan. This is his old band, Kween:

His current tribute band is Queeness: http://queeness.blog16.fc2.com/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts