Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a guitar kit (ML with a Floyd rose).I have blackouts ahb-2 bridge and the ahb-1 neck in a les paul and love them.
What I'm thinking about doing with the ML is a ahb-2 in the bridge and a ahb-1 bridge in the neck position so I can really destroy what is left of my hearing,even tho that Judas priest-Iron maiden concert back in 82 took care of that already..

Anybody ever do what I'm thinking?:metal:

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Bridge pickup in neck position is a great idea.

I had this in my main Warmoth for a while, and I think it sounded great.
It was a couple of Starstruck custom made pickups, both were ordered as bridge pickups intially but I ended up putting one of them in the neck position.
Actually, it sounds VERY close to a Duncan Distortion, but better in my opininion... I recorded them (in bridge position that is) right after each other and almost no difference, except my had a little cleaner sound. I changed to another pickup too, and that was drastic change in tone.
So if a Duncan Distortion works in neck position anything should! :flex:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Yes, I've done this before. As long as you have a hot bridge pickup, it's fine. How many guitars come from the factory with a pair of EMG 81's, or an 85/81 combo? ;)

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Yes, I've done this before. As long as you have a hot bridge pickup, it's fine. How many guitars come from the factory with a pair of EMG 81's, or an 85/81 combo? ;)
I have 81 in the neck on my main guitar right now, I love it!

White I prefer the extreme round and fullness of the 85 in the neck, the 81 is very good too. More articulate. Nothing I usually want, but it's good to have some different sounds to choose from...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool.thanks for the responses,maybe I will try 2 ahb-2's and pull the jumper off the neck pickup :scream2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I swapped the EMGs in my Jackson SLSMG and much prefer it with the 85 in the bridge and 81 neck.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
I swapped the EMGs in my Jackson SLSMG and much prefer it with the 85 in the bridge and 81 neck.
This. My Jackson ruled with that setup. The 81 absolutely blows in the bridge position. The 85 in the bridge fixed all my issues, and the 81 was nice and cutting in the neck position.

That said, the 57/66 combo absolutely crushes the 81/85. :yesway:

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
I dont get the EMG 85 in bridge thing. At least not for the sound I'm after.

The 85 is just more mushy than the 81. The 81 is more precise, even better the EMG 60 in bridge, for tight rhythm recordings.

But hey, thats my taste. :)
I actually agree with you. I despise the 85 in the bridge. Actually, I despise the 85 in general.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I've got a Cort superstrat with that combo (AHB-2b/Blackouts neck..and a Blackouts single in the middle). I think that's a great idea for this combo and wish I'd thought of it...the AHB-2 bridge overpower's the Blackouts neck by quite a bit..a bridge pup in the neck pos will definitely help with balancing output at the very least..

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
It's an Evolution bridge pick-up in the neck spot on Vai's EVO.
The pickup is also reversed. Speaking of which...

I've got an Air Classic Bridge reversed on the neck of my S540 and it's amazing. Almost like a Jazz mixed with a P90 and doesn't have the overdialled mids like say a Liquifire.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
The pickup is also reversed. Speaking of which...
I think it was back in the 90's, Vai told his tech (Roger Bell at the time....check out his FB, I don't think there's one tech who has worked with more people....for a LONG time....big guys, too) after a show that his neck pick-up sounded off, so Roger replaced it and tossed the original....they were already en route to the next venue when Vai found out and had the bus turned around to go dig the pick-up out of the trash.

I wonder if he's still got the original Evo's in Evo today?

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
I think it was back in the 90's, Vai told his tech (Roger Bell at the time....check out his FB, I don't think there's one tech who has worked with more people....for a LONG time....big guys, too) after a show that his neck pick-up sounded off, so Roger replaced it and tossed the original....they were already en route to the next venue when Vai found out and had the bus turned around to go dig the pick-up out of the trash.

I wonder if he's still got the original Evo's in Evo today?
I remember reading that story when Vai had that All About Evo segment on his Machines page.

I know at one point Vai had a Gravity Storm in the bridge of Evo just about a year ago. I think he may have changed it back to the regular pickup.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I remember reading that story when Vai had that All About Evo segment on his Machines page.

I know at one point Vai had a Gravity Storm in the bridge of Evo just about a year ago. I think he may have changed it back to the regular pickup.
Ya figure EVO is good testing ground, I'm sure he can notice any difference in that guitar's sound at this point.

·
Banned
835 Posts
I've tried 3 different pickups in the neck position:
- Evolution 7
- Pegasus
- JB

You can't really predict which ones are going to sound muddy or not. The Pegasus, in particular, was clear in the neck position, while it was a bit muddy in the bridge. It also sounded a lot like the Air Norton 7 that replaced it, interpret that as you will.

The Evo 7 was great, the JB was muddy, and the Pegasus was gut-wrenchingly clean, but balanced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts