Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may know, ET Guitars is in the middle of cutting me an RG7 body to match my 28" conversion neck. A thought came to me regarding the position of the bridge. I plan to downtune three half-steps to (low to high) G#, C#... C#

I'm not particularly fond of heavy-ass strings, but I thought that it may be worthwhile moving the bridge back a hair to accomodate the additional intonation range that may be required. I know that the Caparison HGS series has the bridge moved back 3mm for this very purpose. I'm not sure if the fact that the scale length of 28" (nearly the length of an Intrepid) has any effect.

I'm going to use a Hipshot flat-mount bridge in a similar style to those of the Agile Intrepid. Does anyone know if the Intrepid bridges are moved back slightly to accomodate the extra intonation range required for the low F#?

Does anyone have any advice? Obviously, this is something that I want to get right. :lol:

EDIT: I found a pic that demonstrates the maximum and minimum positions of the Hipshot saddles. I don't know if this helps with anything...

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I don't know anything about moving the bridge back, but what I can say is that tuning is the same tuning my friends in Interlock used, and they had 25.5" scale guitars for most of the bands life. One used a 68 and the other a 70 for the G#, and having played the guitar with the 68 I can say it was fine tension wise for my tastes. And I use a 60 for my low B. So, you'll probably find the bridge will work fine for you in the "standard" location for a bridge at that scale.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know anything about moving the bridge back, but what I can say is that tuning is the same tuning my friends in Interlock used, and they had 25.5" scale guitars for most of the bands life. One used a 68 and the other a 70 for the G#, and having played the guitar with the 68 I can say it was fine tension wise for my tastes. And I use a 60 for my low B. So, you'll probably find the bridge will work fine for you in the "standard" location for a bridge at that scale.
What's bothering me is the possibility of correction intonation rather than tension. Did the low G#s in Interlock seem correctly intonated? I always thought that standard scale instruments would struggle to intonate in such tunings. :scratch:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
What's bothering me is the possibility of correction intonation rather than tension. Did the low G#s in Interlock seem correctly intonated? I always thought that standard scale instruments would struggle to intonate in such tunings. :scratch:
Yes, perfectly.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
My main tunings are standard and this: G#,C#,F#,C,F,A,D# and it sounds perfectly fine on a 25.5 Ibby. No flub at all, of course i like my strings a bit to the loose side, so i'm running a 66 for the g#. I'm in the process of putting together a 28.5... warmoth 7 baritone for this tuning

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Have Ernie get longer screws for the saddles, so that he can place the high string's saddle basically right at the scale length, and then give you more room to intonate on the lower strings. They're pretty easy to find at a decent hardware store, I recently spent a few bucks and bought 3 different lengths of screws so I could stagger them based on how intonation looks, short screws for the low strings, medium for the middle, and long for the strings that intonate closest to scale length.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts