Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Epiphone Les Paul 7. It's a total blast to play, but because it's a giant hunk of dense (probably cheap) mahogany, it's very dark and muddy. I eventually plan on putting some brighter pickups in it (it has the stock ones), but until then what are some things I can do on the guitar end of things to help brighten things up a bit? Obviously using a bright string like Elixir would help, but is there anything simple (not a ss refret) besides pickups and strings that I am not thinking of?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
You could use a higher value volume and/or tone pot. It probably has 500K pots in it you could try swapping them out for 1Meg pots or maybe dewire the tone pots all together if you don't use them a lot.

Also if you want brighter strings try some stainless steel strings like D'Addario Pro Steels or Dean Markley Blue Steels. They're brighter than nickel strings.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
-Elixir Strings
-1MegOhm pots
-Treble booster pedal (basically a signal booster a la Brian May/Tony Iommi)
-Brighter pickups will do you wonders though. IIRC, the stockers in those, while not quite at the level of Ibanez stockers, are pretty crappy. Maybe a D-Sonic 7? It was too bright in a long-scale maple-neckthrough, maybe it'll sound better in a shorter-scale all-mahogany beast.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i've already got some pickups selected based on some previous recommendations in a thread I made, but this is just to tide me over until then. the problem is (as I mentioned in that thread) is that most of the really bright 7 string pickups are also very high output, which I generally don't like. I've actually been considering using some neck pickups in the bridge, since they are generally lower in output.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

MusicTheoryJoey said:
yeah, i've already got some pickups selected based on some previous recommendations in a thread I made, but this is just to tide me over until then. the problem is (as I mentioned in that thread) is that most of the really bright 7 string pickups are also very high output, which I generally don't like. I've actually been considering using some neck pickups in the bridge, since they are generally lower in output.
Slap a q tuner high z or super high z in the bridge position and use 1 meg pots. It'll brighten it right up! :yesway:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Elixrs are bright for coated strings, but there are much brighter strings out there.

Try D'Addario pro steels. Also, going down in string gauges (using thinner strings) will brighten up the guitar.

The other thing not mentioned yet is to use a thinner and smoother pick. The thinner picks will get more snap for the string. If you're using tortex or ultex, going to smooth plastic will get you a little more snap as well.

Those are the cheapest things you can do.

From there, brighter pickups would be you best bet. You could take the pickups you have and send them to Wolfe to rewind them for you. Call him and tell him ehat you want, and he can get you there.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
-Elixir Strings
Definitely not this

Elixrs are bright for coated strings, but there are much brighter strings out there.

Try D'Addario pro steels. Also, going down in string gauges (using thinner strings) will brighten up the guitar.
Definitely this
I cannot fathom how coated strings could possibly brighten up a guitar.
Mind you, I like coated strings and use them, but whenever I put on a set of Nanowebs after some regular D'Addarios, the result is definitely not a brighter sounding guitar.
It's ever so slightly more dull.
The stainless steel strings are a fantastic option, because they are corrosion resistant on top of also being brighter, so more playing time in between string changes.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Really? I find Elixirs to be brighter and sound new for much longer than standard D'addarios. This has been my experience on over a dozen different guitars and basses.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I find they sound like a set of "normal" strings that have been played for a few hours to take that "new string" brassiness off the tone. Then they hold that same tone for weeks or months.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts