Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Awesome video.
:yesway:

Question for more experienced live players: my band is considering covering this. After the Phrygian (Dominant?) break in the middle, how do you get the band to come back in together without a count from the drummer? Does one person act as conductor and give a cue somehow? Or do you just practice it a hundred times until you agree on how it goes?

This question generally applies to any piece with a break in the middle that is free time.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Spilling Blood Across the Land!

Ahh, I remember my first experience hearing Megadeth.
It was The System that Failed, which I got back in early 2004.
Needless to say, I was quite underwhelmed.

Later that year, I bought Rust In Peace because I saw it cheap in a store and this was before I even knew of it's importance to metal and how critically acclaimed it was.
Within about 30 seconds of hearing it, I knew it was going to a fucking killer album.
Just totally changed my world really.
Still the best thrash metal album ever IMHO. Nothing before and after has topped it since, and I don't see any thrash album coming out that will ever top it.

RIP and Kill 'Em All were the two albums that made me just want to learn how to play thrash metal rhythm guitar.
These days, I'm more of a death metal and groove metal fan than thrash admittedly, but I know without those two albums, I would never be listening to death and groove metal today.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

Question for more experienced live players: my band is considering covering this. After the Phrygian (Dominant?) break in the middle, how do you get the band to come back in together without a count from the drummer? Does one person act as conductor and give a cue somehow? Or do you just practice it a hundred times until you agree on how it goes?

This question generally applies to any piece with a break in the middle that is free time.
We've covered it, and the drummer counts you back in. Watch the video, and you can hear Menza give the two count.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts

My band has recorded several songs where we have always always always always played it with a count, but we didn't have any count in the recordings we made. For some songs, it sounds a lot lot cooler without a count, but is a lot harder to do live, so you do it with a count.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Thanks guys. Will watch the video when I get home.

Then I have to start practicing that run since my other guitarist said he wasn't going to touch it. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

Play it like Broderick! :fawk:

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Spilling Blood Across the Land!

Ahh, I remember my first experience hearing Megadeth.
It was The System that Failed, which I got back in early 2004.
Needless to say, I was quite underwhelmed.

Later that year, I bought Rust In Peace because I saw it cheap in a store and this was before I even knew of it's importance to metal and how critically acclaimed it was.
Within about 30 seconds of hearing it, I knew it was going to a fucking killer album.
Just totally changed my world really.
Still the best thrash metal album ever IMHO. Nothing before and after has topped it since, and I don't see any thrash album coming out that will ever top it.

RIP and Kill 'Em All were the two albums that made me just want to learn how to play thrash metal rhythm guitar.
These days, I'm more of a death metal and groove metal fan than thrash admittedly, but I know without those two albums, I would never be listening to death and groove metal today.
Try playing along to the entire album like I did when I was 16. That'll get your rhythmic juices flowing. :D

Also, damn you Broderick... :(

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Also, how the fuck does Mustaine manage to sing this tune while playing it? :lol: I used to cover this back in the day, and if you asked me a question and I had to answer with "yes" or "no" at any given time, there would be a 99.999e+Leon chance that I'd fuck up.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Also, how the fuck does Mustaine manage to sing this tune while playing it? :lol: I used to cover this back in the day, and if you asked me a question and I had to answer with "yes" or "no" at any given time, there would be a 99.999e+Leon chance that I'd fuck up.
Practice it 1,000 times and it you could probably tune your bike while playing it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Practice it 1,000 times and it you could probably tune your bike while playing it.
My high school cover band only played that song, Master of Puppets and Wasted Years, so I'm pretty sure my Holy Wars Playthrough Counttm is pretty high. :lol:

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Ugh, he plays the solos competently, but it's like he's just going through the motions rather than really trying to actually get that pick inflections Marty had.
On Endgame I just felt Broderick just didn't have the kind of amazing phrasing and melodic flair that either Friedman or Poland had back in their Megadeth days.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts