·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Not like that wasn't obvious before. :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I actually like Ozzy more than most people here seem to, but I agree 100%. Bruce Dickinson is one of my favorite vocalists. Ever.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Bruce Dickinson is amazing, but it's worth noting that Maiden have transposed this so Bruce doesn't have to try and hit some of those ballbuster notes that Ozzy did in the original. Not that Ozzy could come anywhere close himself these days.

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
I like Ozzy in the sense that the tone of his voice was crucial to the early sound of Sabbath and I love me some old school Sabbath.

This cover however does rule.

Edit: And then there is this that makes me completely forget about Ozzy.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Edit: And then there is this that makes me completely forget about Ozzy.
:agreed:

I grew up learning to play guitar along with the first four Sabbath albums, but I rarely listen to any of the Ozzy-era stuff anymore. The Dio stuff is a different matter. I think it's held up better over time.

BTW, this is my favorite "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" cover:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yeah, I think I like the Anthrax cover better. It's a little more raw, which Sabbath was. It could stand to be tempo'd down a bit, but they're speed guys in the first place, so I guess it's their own flavor.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Bruce Dickinson is amazing, but it's worth noting that Maiden have transposed this so Bruce doesn't have to try and hit some of those ballbuster notes that Ozzy did in the original.
Actually, Maiden transposed nothing here. This is actually the band Godspeed, with Bruce singing. It was done for the Nativity In Black tribute album in 1994, which also featured a band fronted by Rob Halford, covering "The Wizard", and White Zombie doing Children of the Grave.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts

Bruce's solo band doing the song live. Bruce, as usua, owns the fuck out of it. Recorded during the time between the Balls to Piccasso & Skunkworks albums.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Actually, Maiden transposed nothing here. This is actually the band Godspeed, with Bruce singing.
Ok, I stand corrected. It was Godspeed, not Maiden, who transposed it from C#m to Am. :)

Bruce's solo band doing the song live. Bruce, as usua, owns the fuck out of it. Recorded during the time between the Balls to Piccasso & Skunkworks albums.
And in the original key, interestingly enough. Bruce has some trouble with the highest notes, but that's fine...most people do. Ozzy, at his prime, had a very high upper range. Pity that he never learned to sing with better technique.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
And in the original key, interestingly enough. Bruce has some trouble with the highest notes, but that's fine...most people do. Ozzy, at his prime, had a very high upper range. Pity that he never learned to sing with better technique.
Im assuming cause it was the skunkworks line up of bruce's band vs. godspeed.

As far as ozzy goes, even in the 80s, like on the Speak of the Devil album, he didn't do the outro. He just left it as an instrumental part. Which I never got. Sing it an octave lower? Make it a talking part? something? That was the coolest part of the song.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
ozzy is fine imo. i dont get this whole repeated comparason between ozzy and bruce and or dio. they are different people and its quite alright to like both

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
IMO, no one could have done a better job on the Paranoid album. That's Ozzy all the way, even when he was out of key :lol:

That said, I don't really care too much for his singing outside of that album.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
As far as ozzy goes, even in the 80s, like on the Speak of the Devil album, he didn't do the outro. He just left it as an instrumental part. Which I never got. Sing it an octave lower? Make it a talking part? something? That was the coolest part of the song.
Ozzy rarely performed that song as a solo artist. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the one-off concert taped for Speak of the Devil was the only time he ever did so outside of Sabbath. Even in his tours with Sabbath in the late '70s, before his voice went completely to shit, they tended to represent that album with "Killing Yourself to Live" rather than the title track.

Ozzy was never in the same league as Dickenson or Dio, even if he sold millions more.
Oh, no question. It's sort of a silly comparison to make, and I'm sure that Ozzy would be the first to agree. He's always considered himself more of an entertainer than a singer. Even when there was bad blood in the press, Ozzy always praised Dio's singing ability.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Ozzy rarely performed that song as a solo artist. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the one-off concert taped for Speak of the Devil was the only time he ever did so outside of Sabbath. Even in his tours with Sabbath in the late '70s, before his voice went completely to shit, they tended to represent that album with "Killing Yourself to Live" rather than the title track.
They did the same thing on the reunion album in '98, where ozzy just kinda prances around instead of attempting to do the most badass part of the song. But then again, by that point, he was already decrepit.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
They did the same thing on the reunion album in '98, where ozzy just kinda prances around instead of attempting to do the most badass part of the song. But then again, by that point, he was already decrepit.
It's notable that on the actual Reunion tour in '99, they cut way down on the number of songs and only did a couple that were newer than the first three albums. IIRC, they did a couple from Vol. 4, "Dirty Women," and maybe "Spiral Architect." I can't really remember the setlist now, but it was seriously cut down from the Birmingham NEC shows that were recorded for the Reunion album.

Each Sabbath tour after got successively narrower in terms of setlists. Tony and Geezer's frustration with that is partly what made them so agreeable to touring with Dio again, I believe. They weren't getting much satisfaction out of the Ozzy/Sabbath tours anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts