Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BRUCE DICKINSON UNDERGOES CANCER TREATMENT

Just before Christmas, Maiden vocalist Bruce Dickinson visited his doctor for a routine check-up. This led to tests and biopsies which revealed a small cancerous tumour at the back of his tongue. A seven week course of chemotherapy and radiology treatment was completed yesterday. As the tumour was caught in the early stages, the prognosis thankfully is extremely good. Bruce’s medical team fully expect him to make a complete recovery with the all clear envisaged by late May. It will then take a further few months for Bruce to get back to full fitness. In the meantime we would ask for your patience, understanding and respect for Bruce and his family’s privacy until we update everyone by the end of May. Bruce is doing very well considering the circumstances and the whole team are very positive.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
Just seen this. Fuck cancer.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Best wishes and a speedy recovery to Bruce Dickinson. I just saw this myself.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Looks like they caught this early, which is a relief. Hope to see him back on the road soon!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Note to self: dont miss next maiden tour.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Saw this. Fingers are definitely crossed for a speedy and FULL recovery.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Bruce Dickinson is such a god like figure to me (the only other person on that level in my book is Steve Harris) that I actually refuse to believe he is capable of dying.

I mean, I obviously hope he pulls through, but on some level beyond logic I doubt reality itself would allow Bruce Dickinson to die. I can't imagine a world without Bruce Dickinson in it. In case if the massive outpouring of love over the news hasn't clued the outsiders in, Iron Maiden isn't the world's favorite and most well loved metal band. Iron Maiden is a legitimate religion. If Iron Maiden isn't your favorite band you aren't worthy of listening to metal. Literally my entire life from the age of 13 was influenced on such a massive level by discovering (and subsequently listening on a daily basis) to Iron Maiden. The people I know, the places I attended college, the things I own, the ways I spend my time, etc. etc. etc.

If you've ever been to a Maiden concert, or even seen one of the DVDs, you know how incredible it is. Grown men openly weep at Maiden concerts. I've cried seeing Iron Maiden. There are fans willing to die for Iron Maiden, unquestionably. Iron Maiden is the highest level any human artistic endeavor can achieve.

Realistically, I guess everyone has to die eventually. But it's not Bruce Dickinson's time yet, and I think when it finally is it might actually coincide with the end of the world. I can't fathom the dude who wrote this succumbing to cancer.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
I feel the same about Maiden as Garrett I just can't express my self like him lol. If God him self or who ever is Boss of all of us asked me if he had to remove all music and erase it for eternity expect one band, MAIDEN would be it. Wouldn't have to blink an eye

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
^^agreed, on all counts

Same here. My proudest moment in life was when my old band were asked to be the 'house band' for the Ruskin arms pub in manor park. The same pub iron maiden started their career playing in. They are unquestionably the biggest local band for me. Sadly the pub is now a block of flats, and maiden played a secret gig there the night it closed - a gig I would have murdered people to attend.

Up the irons.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Fuck cancer. Fuck it to hell.

I never went to see Maiden back in the day, but I've seen the two most recent "retro" tours (2008 & 2012), and his performances on both those tours are possibly the two best performances by any rock vocalist I've ever seen. It's not just singing like a god, it's singing like a god while running around the entire time like a sprinter in a precisely choreographed performance. At the 2012 show, he did all that in 100-degree heat that had most of us middle-aged schlubs in the audience on the verge of fainting.

So yeah, Garrett's completely right. :)

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

Seeing them live from the cheap seats (the lawn of Molsen Amphitheatre) super far from the stage proved to me how brilliant of a frontman he is. Not many bands or frontmen could have kept me that engaged from that far from the stage.

I'm glad they caught this early. Hope to see him on stage again.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I've seen every Bruce tour since SIT. I travelled to NYC to catch the first reunion show at the Hammersmith. I drove 9 hours to see them when they didn't come close to me. I drove 4 hours another time when they didn't come near here. I won't miss a maiden show with Bruce as long as I'm physically able to go.

A great deal of my fondest memories have maiden as the soundtrack.

I hope Bruce pulls through. We've already lost Ronnie, it's too soon to lose Bruce.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I wont lie, reading the headline alone already made me fight a tear. Because it's like Garret said: Bruce is like a universal force, always there. Maiden is the soundtrack to my life and I cannot imagine a world without them. I INSIST on a full recovery here, or whatever responsible deity is on duty will have to face consequences.

And Garrett, i cant rep you again yet, but you need to know that this was the most beautiful thing i have read. Ever. It could be straight from my heart.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'm aware there are a shit ton of other people who feel the same way as me, that's why I said it. Like I said, Iron Maiden isn't "just a band" or "just music". There is some weird parallel universe where I never discovered Iron Maiden. I'm some boring banker in that universe, with a moderately attractive wife I got through the traditional method of being a normal likable guy with a stable lifestyle, I have a regular haircut in that universe, most of my shirts have sleeves.

But in this one I discovered Iron Maiden when I was 13 and it spiraled out of control from there. I don't wear mostly black because it's a good color on me. I wear it because it's the main color Iron Maiden shirts are printed on. I didn't give my mom the silent treatment for a week when I was 15 to convince her that I should no longer get haircuts (and subsequently go through a vast range of horrible hairstyles) because I like how long hair looks. I did it because the guys in Maiden all had long hair. I didn't stay in my room instead of going and doing cool youth things like hanging out at the mall as an adolescent because it was comfortable, I did it because that's where my Iron Maiden records were. Everyone I consider a close friend, I met because of a long sequence of events that started with Iron Maiden. I never grew up to be a well adjusted adult with practical interests. Why? Because Iron Maiden made it cool to be interested in mythology and the occult and all kinds of fantastical subjects well past the age of 12 when most people abandon those kinds of ideas.

I owe my entire life to Iron Maiden, and I could talk about how much I love them for days. It kills me that there are people out there who consider themselves "metalheads" who don't like Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden is the embodiment of everything Heavy Metal stands for. They have flown the flag higher and longer than anyone else. When you get older, you listen to songs you liked in the past and the lyrics seem ridiculous and you wonder how you ever got into it. But I will never hear the line, "You'll take my life, but I'll take yours too" without remembering how hard it rocked my world the very first time I heard it.

I've forgotten a lot of things in my life some people would consider important. I can't fucking tell you how many amendments are in the constitution. But I can tell you exactly what it says on the gravestone on the cover of Live After Death reads, or exactly what Nicko McBrain is saying at the start of Still Life.

No other band has that kind of appeal. Ever.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Thanks Garret for stating it as I couldn't:yesway: Bruce and Maiden have been part of my life for over 30 years. Up the irons!!:metal:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts