Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Outstanding. I couldn't agree with him more; those dumb contest shows just trivialize music.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
:yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Wow, well said. :metal:

Also, this:

The heavy metal singer and airline pilot...
Makes me smile every time I see it. :lol:

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Hit the nail on the head. I also find it interesting that these shows never have them write their own material.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hit the nail on the head. I also find it interesting that these shows never have them write their own material.
Thats a bit of an elephant in the room isnt it?

Dont use it as a platform for actual creativity. Use it to regurgitate well known popular songs. Prove in the process that the 'artist' (AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA) can and will be told what to do, keep them on a diet of manufactured, committee-approved crap from 'professional' songwriters paid to vomit out whatever more-the-same-than-anything-else shit currently has the highest market appeal.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I really should get into writing shitty pop songs. Tell you what Mark, I'll write, you track and mix, and we'll split the profit :yesway:

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike reid (tropical fruit disaster) was gonna do that. His first hit was fully planned out. Its title? Shake your boom-boom. The lyrics?

Shake your boom-boom
Shake your boom-boom
Shake your boom-boom
Shake your boom-boom

Would've gone down a storm, I say we nick it.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats the second single right there. Chart gold. We're making hits here. We're gonna be wearing gold plated diapers.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
There's a girl on the UK X Factor just now who's ONLY performing her own material. She's far too good for the show...
I'm surprised there hasn't been more people doing this really. It seems like it'd be the perfect idea for those who ARE the people Bruce is describing - the singers/song-writers/guitarists - to get their music out to the world. Who cares if they make it to the final, if they make it on the show that shows they've got talent in one aspect, and if they stay on because of their ability to perform it PLUS the music is worth it than it just makes them that much better.

I wouldn't be surprised if the other contestants didn't start to worry for their own safety since you've got someone performing their very craft and want it that much more, hell they might even start to root for them.

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

MFB said:
There's a girl on the UK X Factor just now who's ONLY performing her own material. She's far too good for the show...
I'm surprised there hasn't been more people doing this really. It seems like it'd be the perfect idea for those who ARE the people Bruce is describing - the singers/song-writers/guitarists - to get their music out to the world. Who cares if they make it to the final, if they make it on the show that shows they've got talent in one aspect, and if they stay on because of their ability to perform it PLUS the music is worth it than it just makes them that much better.

I wouldn't be surprised if the other contestants didn't start to worry for their own safety since you've got someone performing their very craft and want it that much more, hell they might even start to root for them.
Partly, because people try and they don't even let them on the show. Don't make it past the first round of screening.

But mostly, because most real artists hate the show and don't want to destroy their credibility by being associated with it.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Partly, because people try and they don't even let them on the show. Don't make it past the first round of screening.

But mostly, because most real artists hate the show and don't want to destroy their credibility by being associated with it.
Indeed. I'm surprised theres one. I'm inclined to view that as a marketing decision as much as the rest of it.

The show is, by definition, for deluded wannabes, run by and for marketing, not music.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts

This is true. One of my mates is a singer-songwriter who writes his own material and has had some degree of success. He was given a spot at Latitude festival a few years ago, for example.

He thought he was getting nowhere putting his music out the traditional way (bars, clubs, events) so decided to give X-Factor a crack. He didn't get past the first stage of screening because he wasn't "TV material". I took that to mean that he still had both his parents and all of his grandparents (therefore no sob story), is from a middle-class background so no "I'm trying to escape the ghetto" story, and isn't a deluded, fuck-awful singer like you see in the first few auditions, the ones that are there solely for the comedy value.

Still, when he told me he didn't make it, he didn't seem the least bit down or angry about it. It just confirmed everything he knew already so had to laugh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts