Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Am I the only one who wants to punch Mayer in the face when he makes those stupid facial expressions?
I want to do that to anyone making stupid facial expressions while playing. :lol:

This I HAVE to watch - Mayer is actually (in my book) a pretty solid blues and jazz player even if I can't stand most of his music, and Buddy Guy is, well, Buddy Guy. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mayer rips it up in this vid. He just happens to be going up against Buddy Guy. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Mayer rips it up in this vid. He just happens to be going up against Buddy Guy. :lol:
:lol: Buddy Guy is in many ways a perfectly unique blues player - he's sort of the missing link between the classic electric blues guys and Jimi and everything that came after him. I don't know of anyone else from his generation who can claim to sound like him - he's like a better, less restrained B.B King (who I don't particularly care for as a guitarist, but LOVE as a bandleader - "The Thrill is Gone" has pretty uninspiring soloing but a kickass arrangement).

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:lol: Buddy Guy is in many ways a perfectly unique blues player - he's sort of the missing link between the classic electric blues guys and Jimi and everything that came after him. I don't know of anyone else from his generation who can claim to sound like him - he's like a better, less restrained B.B King (who I don't particularly care for as a guitarist, but LOVE as a bandleader - "The Thrill is Gone" has pretty uninspiring soloing but a kickass arrangement).
He's where guys like Hendrix, SRV, and Clapton got their fiery, go the fuck off style from. He started that.

You're giving BB King a bad rap for that song, since it pretty much the commercial song that is like nothing else he had done up to that point. It's like judging Ray Charles on "Georgia on My Mind".

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
so you guys are all saying that you -don't- make stupid guitar faces? cuz i do. i don't mean to, it just kinda happens. i envy anyone that doesn't make these.
Maybe it's because I think Mayer is a colossal douchebag. Good guitar player? Yes. But a colossal douchebag.

Furthermore, it irritates me that everyone says how awesome he is, then I turn on Sirius and there he's doing a shitty pop rock song. I've yet to hear a single song from him that showcases this awesome playing. Does he actually record any of this awesome shit, or does he save it for the confused college kids at his shows? :rofl:

It's like if you were to tell me how awesome Yngwie is, and I hear him playing smooth jazz on the radio.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Furthermore, it irritates me that everyone says how awesome he is, then I turn on Sirius and there he's doing a shitty pop rock song. I've yet to hear a single song from him that showcases this awesome playing. Does he actually record any of this awesome shit, or does he save it for the confused college kids at his shows? :rofl:
Can you blame him? The guy is making a good living for himself, as opposed to eating ramen and living in his mother's basement.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I fucking love that tune. It's one of my favorite jazz standards. :lol:
Understand that at the time, jazz musicians across the country felt that he sold out. If you were living then, you'd probably have felt the same way.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Jeff said:
so you guys are all saying that you -don't- make stupid guitar faces? cuz i do. i don't mean to, it just kinda happens. i envy anyone that doesn't make these.
Maybe it's because I think Mayer is a colossal douchebag. Good guitar player? Yes. But a colossal douchebag.

It's like if you were to tell me how awesome Yngwie is, and I hear him playing smooth jazz on the radio.
There's John mayer when he plays as "John Mayer", and then there's John Mayer playing in the John mayer trio, or just with whomever in a blues/rock setting

·
Registered
4,184 Posts

I love his live stuff and I would highly recommend it to anyone who like blues but his studio albums are garbage.

And yes he is a douche :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Can you blame him? The guy is making a good living for himself, as opposed to eating ramen and living in his mother's basement.
Well, I don't know that "blaming him" is the right wording, as I can't say I do. More power to him, I guess.

I just get tired of hearing how awesome he is live, when I don't hear it in the music he records as "John Mayer".

I don't think Joe Bonamassa is living in his mom's basement, and he does a pretty good job of representing himself evenly across mediums.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Well, I don't know that "blaming him" is the right wording, as I can't say I do. More power to him, I guess.

I just get tired of hearing how awesome he is live, when I don't hear it in the music he records as "John Mayer".

I don't think Joe Bonamassa is living in his mom's basement, and he does a pretty good job of representing himself evenly across mediums.
Bonamassa isn't selling out large venues like John Mayer can either...

And while this isn't anything particularly noteworthy, it is one of my favorite Mayer tunes and quite fun to jam on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts