Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Good jazz drummers pretty much destroy 90% of the modern rock/metal drummers that we consider the "best".

Edit: And Buddy Rich was not just a "good jazz drummer", he was basically the greatest there's ever been.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
Yeah, he's awesome as crap. I wish I liked jazz more as a whole instead of just bits and pieces, because they are some of the best musicians out there.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yeah, he's awesome as crap. I wish I liked jazz more as a whole instead of just bits and pieces, because they are some of the best musicians out there.
Aye me too. I respect the shit out of jazz musicians, I just don't particularly enjoy listening to jazz. Then again, 90% of what I listen to are songs about either pirates, the devil, or how metal the band is..

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Oh my word...

Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I'm in that odd minority where I can just as easily tune my internet radio to any jazz station (except fusion or a lot of the 80s junk) and just listen to it for hours. And Buddy Rich was an amazing talent. These guys did so much to push every ounce of technique they possibly could.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
Aye me too. I respect the shit out of jazz musicians, I just don't particularly enjoy listening to jazz. Then again, 90% of what I listen to are songs about either pirates, the devil, or how metal the band is..
Yeah, totally :lol:

I was really big into jazz in college, while I played trumpet, and I used to go and get these albums that everybody talked about in class, like Pithocanthripus Erectus (we did that song), thinking it was going to be the most awesome thing ever. I got it, and was like, "what the shit." Then I'd go back to listening to awesome stuff. I've got a whole stack of jazz cds I've still yet to import. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Buddy Rich was the man. :agreed:

I'm in that odd minority where I can just as easily tune my internet radio to any jazz station (except fusion or a lot of the 80s junk) and just listen to it for hours. And Buddy Rich was an amazing talent. These guys did so much to push every ounce of technique they possibly could.
I'm in that odd minority where I can just as easily tune my radio/internet radio to any jazz station (especially fusion and a lot of that wonderful 80s gold) and just listen to it for hours.

Modal jazz, smooth jazz, bebop, swing, free jazz, funk, cool jazz, latin jazz, hard bop, you name it, I like it. But jazz fusion and all that stuff from the 70s and 80s is definitely my favorite style of jazz. One of my favorite jazz musicians has always been Miles Davis and, despite what a bunch of haters say, I think his 80s albums were amazing too, though I do have to say that the 50s and 60s were where he was at his peak (which, of course, falls in line with the majority since everyone worships at the foot of Kind of Blue, which I have to admit is one of the greatest albums ever made).

·
Read Only
3 Posts
One of my favorite jazz musicians has always been Miles Davis and, despite what a bunch of haters say, I think his 80s albums were amazing too, though I do have to say that the 50s and 60s were where he was at his peak (which, of course, falls in line with the majority since everyone worships at the foot of Kind of Blue, which I have to admit is one of the greatest albums ever made).
Do you have the Live at the Filmore East discs? It was recorded after he recorded Bitches... but before it came out. It's probably my favorite release of his (even over Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew)

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
That was beautiful.

I've always felt that a lone drummer has has the odds stacked against him when it comes to expressing a sentiment that will leave an emotional impact on his audience. He can't construct a melody or convey words. Notice how the mechanics and precision are only tangentially related to what's really taking place here. He's in a trance, feeling it. You can go on YouTube right now and find a hundred drummers who are capable of precisely reproducing a performance, but none will come close to this guy. When you're feeling it, you're untouchable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts