Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my Linkstation Duo has been acting strangely today.

I come home to find it off for some reason. I turn it on and I get a red light, then I turn it off and back on and the blue light has been flashing for about 30 minutes now like it is trying to boot. It has never taken this long to boot :(

Any ideas?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually? You know what....this POS has always been flaky as hell. I think I'm going to build a linux based NAS.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
It may need like 24 hours to resync to the RAID array for some reason. Leave it powered on until tomorrow night and see if it unfucks itself.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may need like 24 hours to resync to the RAID array for some reason. Leave it powered on until tomorrow night and see if it unfucks itself.
That's a bit wacky. I mean, the thing is purpose built to only handle the array. But, I guess they are not that efficient?

I still sort of want to build my own. I think that a linux based computer configured as a RAID NAS would be more powerful, extensible, and reliable.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I'm still on the fence about getting one of these...

Seems like a good backup, but man, it sounds like there have been problems lately...

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
That's a bit wacky. I mean, the thing is purpose built to only handle the array. But, I guess they are not that efficient?

I still sort of want to build my own. I think that a linux based computer configured as a RAID NAS would be more powerful, extensible, and reliable.
I dunno man. You saw my thread about my issues. The thing just shat itself when it took a power hit. Maybe you had some power issues - are you on a UPS?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I'm not unfortunately. I might have to invest in one. I'm just kind of annoyed with this thing really...

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Give in bro! do it! You can actually do raid with USB drives attached to a laptop if you wanted to :lol: but it would be slow

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Give in bro! do it! You can actually do raid with USB drives attached to a laptop if you wanted to :lol: but it would be slow
Nah, I'm thinking a proper SATA RAID server. I need to source a quiet low power board/cpu setup, and the smallest case that I can find that can hold and cool up to four hard drives.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I'd go for a matx AM3 Sempron rig over that, would be about the same price and would absolutely blow it out of the water.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm....that is a cheap chip! How much processing power would the rig really need though? It's sole purpose is going to be handling the array (if I actually go through with this.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The flashing blue light on my Linkstation is still flashing :(

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Hmm....that is a cheap chip! How much processing power would the rig really need though? It's sole purpose is going to be handling the array (if I actually go through with this.
If you use software raid (built in crap or linux goodness) you will be using the CPU for the calculations and such. If you are using a hardware raid controller an atom would be fine but for software absolutely no way, your speeds would be awful.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd rather find a board with hardware RAID. I need to make sure that Jetway has it.

Later though. I'm in guitarland right now. :lol:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Only server boards have hardware raid which are usually LSI chips, typically they only support 0, 1 and 10 but some have the LSI 2008 and support 5. If it has any form of AMD, Intel, Marvell, Adaptec, etc. it is fake raid and is software. That Jetway board has an ICH9R which uses Intel's software raid which is fine but it will be slow as crap with an Atom chip.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only server boards have hardware raid which are usually LSI chips, typically they only support 0, 1 and 10 but some have the LSI 2008 and support 5. If it has any form of AMD, Intel, Marvell, Adaptec, etc. it is fake raid and is software. That Jetway board has an ICH9R which uses Intel's software raid which is fine but it will be slow as crap with an Atom chip.
Thanks for the info. :yesway:

Any good alternatives to that AMD chip that you know of? Just looking at all of my options. I have my Mac Mini and my minecraft server running in here, so I really want a small, low power, quiet setup for the RAID box. :yesway:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
You could get an AMD E-350 setup and run linux raid on it. They are quite a bit quicker than atoms from what i have seen but I would still go with a real CPU but that may just be me. Most of those all-in-one NAS boxes use Atom chips these days and you can see what the performance is like on them, absolute garbage lol. I can saturate a gigabit ethernet link with my linux raid on my server, those things can barely even get going lol.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed. I hate the bootup time on my Buffalo box, and the fact that I can't easily go in via SSH and fuck with it drives me nuts too. And...the web interface sucks and is slow as fuck.

I'll definitely be going linux. Normally I'd slap Arch Linux on it immediately, but distros like this one interest me.

Openfiler - Openfiler

Have you ever heard of it?

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
A bunch of guys on hardforum use that as well as freenas. The other popular one is ZFS which is pretty much amazing but requires some serious horsepower and lots of ram.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts