Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I've played them side by side. They're the same amp design man. Probably the same down to every little capacitor. One's just made on the cheap in China.

I thought the 5150 clips had a touch more presence and thus a different character to the notes, but it might be hard to EQ them exactly the same due to parts differences.

·
18,790 Posts
I could definitely hear a difference, with my eyes closed, I could tell them apart. The 5150 has a more solid chunk, while the Bugera sounds a little more "raw" is about the best I can explain it. Could be down to tube and component differences though :shrug: I wonder what would happen to this test if he had used the same set of tubes between both heads.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I could definitely hear a difference, with my eyes closed, I could tell them apart. The 5150 has a more solid chunk, while the Bugera sounds a little more "raw" is about the best I can explain it. Could be down to tube and component differences though :shrug: I wonder what would happen to this test if he had used the same set of tubes between both heads.
:agreed: Forgot about those.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Remember, each electronic component generally has at least a 10% accepted variance from each other one, and modern tubes can show even more variance. It's possible we're hearing that.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Now I want to hear a comparison on the cleans :lol:

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Remember, each electronic component generally has at least a 10% accepted variance from each other one, and modern tubes can show even more variance.
This.

I would even say - take two 5150's out of the same production abtch, and the difference will be similar to the one you can hear in the vid.

That said - i think the vids/clips of this guy always sound a bit similar, and i think there is a bit post-processing done, so that makes them even more similar sounding in that vid.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ive asked him before and he said he foes use post eq and comp.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I wouldn't buy the Bugera, simply because it's a stolen design. The Peaveys aren't that expensive for an American-made amp in the first place, and they're even cheaper used.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That said - i think the vids/clips of this guy always sound a bit similar, and i think there is a bit post-processing done, so that makes them even more similar sounding in that vid.
Totally agreed. I've been saying this for ages, and everyone always jumps down my throat when I mention it :lol:

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I wouldn't buy the Bugera, simply because it's a stolen design. The Peaveys aren't that expensive for an American-made amp in the first place, and they're even cheaper used.
Well, to be fair - the 5150 isnt that original also... :D

But of course - there is a big difference between an amp based on the design of the SLO (which so many amps are), or a simple COPY. Which the Bugera is.

Further - For home use, i would even consider one, but as soon as i would have to lug it around a bit (gigs on regualr schedule, maybe touring) - unreliable shit is unreliable. Broke fanbois can keep on with the fairy tale about the big improvement of Quality Management in the Bugera Factory, i still call bullshit. Even one of the european distributors confimred that they fixed ONE common failure, which was causing almost 50% of the amps to break, but thats it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Remember, each electronic component generally has at least a 10% accepted variance from each other one, and modern tubes can show even more variance. It's possible we're hearing that.
This. My drummer and I both ordered a Roadster within weeks of one another, and they couldn't sound any different and still be a Recto. Mine was dark with smoother mids, and his was bright with upper mid grind.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Well, to be fair - the 5150 isnt that original also... :D

But of course - there is a big difference between an amp based on the design of the SLO (which so many amps are), or a simple COPY. Which the Bugera is.

Further - For home use, i would even consider one, but as soon as i would have to lug it around a bit (gigs on regualr schedule, maybe touring) - unreliable shit is unreliable. Broke fanbois can keep on with the fairy tale about the big improvement of Quality Management in the Bugera Factory, i still call bullshit. Even one of the european distributors confimred that they fixed ONE common failure, which was causing almost 50% of the amps to break, but thats it.
:blahblah:

j/k

totally :agreed:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts