Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i wanna have some fun with this, i will post a list of something i was building for a home studio, and i want you to finish it.

Argosy Classic speaker stands-$150
DIgidesign pre-$2500
Solid State Logic XLogic Alpha Channel-$1250
Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor- $1400
Auralex Roominators D36- $140
Whirlwind IMP 2- $50
Apple Mac Pro-$3300
Apple LED Cinema Display- $800
SM57- 100
Audio-Technica AT4060-$1400
Audix DP-Elite 8-$2000
Royer ps-101- $60
patch bay-$150
krk vxt8- $1200(pair)
total cost-$14500

keep it under $40k, include desk, chair, and cables. have fun!
and you have to have PT's Hd system =)
p.s. idk half of the things i put on this list but i put it on for a reason and im being lazy right now.

4,429 Posts
ditch anything digidesign and use an ssl alpha (or is it the delta) link so you can use any mixing board or board with protools hd. Actually I'm pretty sure you can use either.

Also how big is the room you are going to be mixing in? Do you have a separate room for tracking?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Add one (or two for stereo use) of these:

One of the most shockingly versatile pieces of studio gear I've ever seen in use. Granted, I have very limited experience with studio gear but the range of sounds and sound tweaking you can get from one for just about any application is amazing.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its not final yet, im just having issues with choosing a mix. I would love a c24, but $10k for a giant mouse? idk if it will be same room or separate room, depends on the house i buy next year. But keep in mind its not for commercial use, sure ill charge people wanting hip hop and when i am very bored. but for the most part just record me and my friends for free, fun and have a good time doing it.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ditch anything digidesign and use an ssl alpha (or is it the delta) link so you can use any mixing board or board with protools hd. Actually I'm pretty sure you can use either.

Also how big is the room you are going to be mixing in? Do you have a separate room for tracking?
to my understandings, the digidesign pre's are not bad. but i need to update the list to avid pres =)

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I definitely wouldn't get the digi pre's man, in my experience they really don't sound good. Invest in a couple of awesome pre's (maybe Neve 9098 EQ/Pre's) instead as you won't need 8 channels of audio all the time, except for when you're tracking drums.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Room treatments
Readytraps DIY kits (12 broadband units, 4 super sub units): 950

Computer
Mac: 3000
Monitor: 500 (don't splurge on the cinema display right now, this is for music not video)

Pro Tools
HD|3: 14,000
Apogee Symphony w/ 16 i/o frames: 5,700

Montitoring
Genelec 8050: 4,300
Dangerous Music D-box: 1,400

Front End
API 3124: 2,550
Great River MP-2NV: 2,275
True Precision 8: 2,600

Mics
AKG 414: 1,000
AT ATM450 (2): 500
Audix D6: 200
SM-57 (5): 500

Total: 39,975

This leaves out the cost of cables, but you might already have those. You won't need any other plugins to start because PT comes bundled with a bunch. I also didn't include any analogue compressors or equalizers because I prefer to track without them, and this setup is designed for in-the-box mixing only.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i forgot about the neve single channel strip. but why 5 sm57s? id only need 2 really, becuase id only use them for guitar and maybe mic a snare. 2 just because one would be back up.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
i forgot about the neve single channel strip. but why 5 sm57s? id only need 2 really, becuase id only use them for guitar and maybe mic a snare. 2 just because one would be back up.
Going out on a limb, Snare, three toms, and either a 4th tom, a bottom snare, or a hihat.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Going out on a limb, Snare, three toms, and either a 4th tom, a bottom snare, or a hihat.
Yup. There are others I'd prefer, but I ran out of money. Adding a mic at a time is a lot easier than saving up for one of the big ticket items.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Right, but on that budget I was out of money for mics.... plus a 57 on hats can work if you need more meat out of the hats.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its a great list, and i will intergrate some of those items into it when it isnt 3am. But...what will open protools? and im not using my mbox cuz this thing sounds like horse shit pre mixed.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I don't know what you mean by what will open protools? Protools HD|3 is in that list, along with a Mac, and the Apogee converters. That's all you need for HD to load. :)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I wouldnt ever use a 57 for a hihat
Still, having another SM57 around is hardly a bad idea. You never know when you're going to need a hammer, or something.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
i was going to stay out of this "do my work for me" thread but man, anyone saying that they don't like sm57s needs to take a step back and actually use one a couple times. They sound good on nearly everything and sound great for a lot of things. for 40 grand, you could have a great set of mics, protools, monitors and everything to get you started.

PTHD 8000
16 ins and outs 2500
snakes - 500
cables to go off the snakes 1000
mic stands 500
random 16 channel board - 2000
----------
mics are more important than outboard compressors and garbage, especially since you will be mixing in the box.

5 x sm57 - 500
2 x beta 52a - 375ish
1 x sm7b - 350
3 x sennheiser 421 - 1140
2 x some good pencil condenser for overheads - 1000
1 x neumann ua 87 ai - 3600 for vocals and room mic and nearly everything.

these mics only - 7k

you can get a lot more mics

those mics there should get you started on reproducing good sounds.

If you simply must have some out board gear, it's a really personal thing. i really like my vocal chain to have a Universal audio la-610 in it with my sm7b. it just sounds right to me. who knows what you're going to like? i'd go with 4 tracking compressors to be able to compress the kick, snare and entire drum bus if needed. if you're track live, make sure to have a nice one for vocals. an la 610 is 1500 - 2k. if i had the money i would have 5. or an alternating 610/1176 setup. but i'm a geek like that.

now go do your own research and spend 40k on some sweet shit.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Crucified - I'd rather spend less on mics and more on room treatment, given that list, but yeah...

And yeah, I hated the SM57 for the longest time too, but they're just eerily versatile.

EDIT - hell, I wouldn't even worry about the gear until I had a room designed, given the choice.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Crucified - I'd rather spend less on mics and more on room treatment, given that list, but yeah...

And yeah, I hated the SM57 for the longest time too, but they're just eerily versatile.

EDIT - hell, I wouldn't even worry about the gear until I had a room designed, given the choice.
agreed, without a properly treated room you're going to get the best out of it. but honestly, we don't know what kind of room he has, he has evidently gone to school for this so he should room treatment is important. i don't remember anything about needing help with room treatment though. How many more times can i put the words room treatment in this paragraph? room treatment room treatment room treatment room treatment. may more times.

it's early and I'm at work. also... room treatment.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im half way through the course, ssl theory in 2 weeks woop! but i dont hate sm57s, i just hate them for hihats because you want a 57 for midrangey stuff(guitar, snare, anything that fits) and a hihat is high range. if you want that sound then thats what you want, but i know how i like my drums personally because it is a personal home studio i am planning. But if the client wants that specific sound then they get it.(but i dont plan on having many clients)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts