Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive built a few NAS Boxes now for friends out of old desktops using FreeNAS, but id like to build myself a new general server box. Mostly ill use it for NAS and media streaming and a print server, I figure ill use amahi, since its a nice easy distro to install (it seems), and its got some nice stuff along with it (especially greyhole).

Id like to keep costs (not including storage) below 500, preferably under 400. What should i be focusing on? I dont imagine i need much for processing power. Mostly ram, a nice network connection, and physical space for drives right? Toss in a basic video card/optical drive, and call it a day right? Anything im missing?

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Well if it comes down to it budget-wise, take away the video card and just manage it via remotely via VNC.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Are you relying upon Greyhole for redundancy? If not, you'll need to find a RAID card compatible with Fedora 12.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Home server? I thought you already had a girlfriend?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you relying upon Greyhole for redundancy? If not, you'll need to find a RAID card compatible with Fedora 12.
I was thinking about it, otherwise Id just slap a RAID card that does JBOD. Isnt the virtue of greyhole the JBOD multi sized capabilities while maintaining redundancy, like a drobo?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I was thinking about it, otherwise Id just slap a RAID card that does JBOD. Isnt the virtue of greyhole the JBOD multi sized capabilities while maintaining redundancy, like a drobo?
Yeah, pretty much. The only thing that makes me uneasy about using it exclusively right now is that it's beta. Once it's out of beta, I have no problem with it.

You can even toss an external drive on there too and add that to the Greyhole pool.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

A legitimate concern, but I'm unaware of anything like it other than win home server (nope) or buying a drobo ($)

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hrm. Apparently it's redundancy isn't as nice either. Full 2-failure redundacy kills off 2/3 of apace instead of 1/3

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Current beta codename is "it should work" :rofl:

funny guy :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts