Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, redid the bandroom today, and decided to set up a recording computer.

I had an old Powermac G4 (dual 857mhz) lying around, which, after some tweaking, and reinstalling of operating systems, is up and running, OS 10.2.8, IIRC. I think I may need to update, because for some reason there are a million and one compatibility issues between it, and Java, and Firefox, etc. For an interface, I've got a buddy's Lexicon Lambda connected, though I don't have any recording software installed. I'm thinking either Logic or Pro Tools, though I can't install my copy of logic because the Java isn't up to speed, and I can't bring it up to speed because the OS is outdated. This is why I prefer windows for just about everything, but my P4 box needs a new cooling fan, and I'd prefer not to drop any coin on this.

What are my options here, as far as software is concerned? This is basically my first time using a Mac for just about anything at home, So I'm kinda lost. Until now, I'd been using the Lexicon with Reaper on my gaming PC, but I don't like running a 30' cable for each mic I want to hook up, and going from room to room to tweak.

Help guise.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Why not stick with Reaper? There's now a Mac version, and while I haven't played with it extensively, at a first look it seems just as stable as the PC version.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
OS X: 10.4, 10.5 or 10.6, PPC or Intel (Intel recommended).
IF he "needs to update anyway" all he'd have to do is go from 10.2 to 10.4. :shrug:

·
Knives!
427 Posts
You won't be able to run Pro Tools without Digidesign hardware.
I think this is wrong, i'm sure the more basic version of pro tools can be run with other interfaces and doesn't just need to be mbox's but for the majority/anything serious. It's m-audio/digidesign all the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts