23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my current PA is:

1. Powered Mixer
  2. 200Wx2
  3. 10 mic pre's
  4. global EQ
  5. FX loop

It sounds great as a home stereo, and the out-board compressor I bought makes vocals sound great with a mix of acoustic guitars, but once the bass player plugs in, the mix all goes to shit :lol:

Looking at some powered and un-powered mixers with power amps… Not really sure what to jump on. Thoughts?

This is primarily for acoustic gigs as a 4-piece.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Make the bass player bring a small combo. For small gigs like that, something like a TC BG250 1x15 or one of the G-K MB210s would be fine.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be the highly logical solution!

:lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems Mr Bass Player is not in possession of a small combo. Just an over-powered Ampeg head, and a 4x10 cab that weighs more than my car :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Cheap ass bass player buying a small combo is much less expensive (and more sensible) than Leon Who Is Not The Bass Player buying a PA to compensate for his broke ass. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Seems Mr Bass Player is not in possession of a small combo. Just an over-powered Ampeg head, and a 4x10 cab that weighs more than my car :yesway:
Cheap ass bass player buying a small combo is much less expensive (and more sensible) than Leon Who Is Not The Bass Player buying a PA to compensate for his broke ass. :lol:
:agreed:

$400 will get you a TC Electronic BG250, or a used G-K MB210 or MB115. All of them are fantastic, loud, sound great, and weigh less than 35 lbs. Used will save you even more money.

Make the bass player buy one. It will be WAY cheaper than building a bass-capable PA.

If he won't, make him bring the Ampeg + 4x10 rig and make sure he keeps his volume at an appropriately low level. He will want to buy the little combo soon enough :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I also asked my amp tech (who rebuilds a lot of mixing boards/consoles, and plays bass, coincidentally), and I quote…

The bass player shouldn't be going through the PA in a smaller setup; you'll need to triple the power if he does.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Get my setup (the ProFX + a pair of 1221s). And tell your bassist to get Josh's Awesome Portable Rig Of Awesomely Awesome.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I like the bass combo idea. My acoustic trio has recently come to the conclusion that all three of us (guitar, guitar, and bass) should probably get individual amps. It's just not worth it trying to get a decent sound and decent monitoring out of a sound guy when you have a 5 minute sound check for a 30 minute set.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can run two acoustics and four vocals into my old-as-hell powered mixer, and it sounds fucking awesome for the ~$500 I paid for the mixer, compressor, and 4 speaker cabs.

It's just when the bassist is like, "Hey guys, I'm just gonna go into the PA if that's OK..."

NO. NO IT IS NOT :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Like I said. Make him bring his rig to shows.

Soon, he will want to buy a small combo.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
If small shows is all he's doing then he doesn't need that Ampeg rig at all anyway. He could sell it and cover a small but fine sounding combo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts