Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
So i decided to revisit some old bulb riffs with a new mix, and thought it would be a good opportunity to test out FW 10 in a mix context, very pleased with the results, might post the patch up soon!

Here is the clip, hope ya dig:

https://soundcloud.com/iambulb/revisiting-some-riffs-from

Guitar: Jackson Custom Shop 7 Blue Sparkle w/BKP Aftermath set (Drop Ab)
Drums: Toontrack Metal Machine
Bass: Trillian

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could work quite well as a Periphery tune! Something about the guitars is off to me though. Kinda scratchy and not as in your face as usual.
I will admit that because the FW10 amps sound so real and have that "in the room" kinda sound, they aren't quite as "direct" as FW9. Perhaps for my style of music FW9 might be more appropriate, but for most other styles FW10 is definitely a step forward!

Probably won't be a Periphery idea though, if it was gonna be I wouldn't have posted it haha.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I will admit that because the FW10 amps sound so real and have that "in the room" kinda sound, they aren't quite as "direct" as FW9. Perhaps for my style of music FW9 might be more appropriate, but for most other styles FW10 is definitely a step forward!

Probably won't be a Periphery idea though, if it was gonna be I wouldn't have posted it haha.
Fair enough shout :lol:
Either way though, pretty awesome riffs, and I reckon vocals would open it right up!

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW I am not mixing on my Opals (which are the only monitors I really trust) and I think from mixing on my Ultrasones, I kinda went easy on the top end. After a/b'ing it with some metal mixes I like I realized the guitars sounded a bit dull and adjusted eq accordingly in my own mix, to make it sound a bit more present in the top end.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
FWIW I am not mixing on my Opals (which are the only monitors I really trust) and I think from mixing on my Ultrasones, I kinda went easy on the top end. After a/b'ing it with some metal mixes I like I realized the guitars sounded a bit dull and adjusted eq accordingly in my own mix, to make it sound a bit more present in the top end.
Does sound a little better to my ears now actually! Saying that, I've just been away from my PC for an hour and came back and it's the first thing I've put on. Maybe my ears were fatigued a little from a day full of death metal :lol:

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does sound a little better to my ears now actually! Saying that, I've just been away from my PC for an hour and came back and it's the first thing I've put on. Maybe my ears were fatigued a little from a day full of death metal :lol:
Oh I should have clarified, I didn't update the clip on the page haha, I just meant to say that I updated my own mix after a few people mentioned the guitars sounded a bit dull, and that I concurred with the fact that they could use more top end without becoming harsh!

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Oh I should have clarified, I didn't update the clip on the page haha, I just meant to say that I updated my own mix after a few people mentioned the guitars sounded a bit dull, and that I concurred with the fact that they could use more top end without becoming harsh!
Ignore me then :lol: I R n00b

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.