Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, a random question, but how do you all feel about purchasing a guitar that is identical to your main as a live backup?

Personally I adore my modded Ibby MTM2 for one of my heavier projects, it's everything I could ask for in a guitar. I was thinking of getting another one however for a live backup and modding it the same way. It's a cheap & cheerful guitar and I can justify doing it.

My only gripe is that when I mentioned it to all my band mates and all of my other musical buddies, they all just scoffed and said it was a silly idea. Saying that I should get another similar guitar to do changes mid-set for different sounds etc. :spock:

While this idea had crossed my mind, I'm not truly aware of any other guitar on the market thats similar in specs or sound, I guess a nice drive to visit some guitar stores in order (closest decent one is only a nice 50miles away :S). I'm very open to trying another brand even though Im used to the Ibbys neck.

So guys, what do you suggest or recommend?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
What mods did you make to it? Did you get the black or the White? I mean, if you bought the black, and put EMG's in, why not buy the White and put a set of DiMarzio's or BKP's or whatever in there? Would certainly be voiced differently, but with the feel and look you like.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion! It's a white one with white blackouts in it. I do enjoy the tone regardless of some peoples views.
I think I may go ahead with your idea and buy a black one then fit it with passives, it will certainly open up some more recording oppurtunities. :)

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
If it's any consolation, I'm planning on doing a similar thing with 8 strings, gonna grab an Agile and fit it with BKP's, and an Ibby and fit it with Duncans :lol: same woods and everything

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
You might be disappointed if you try to use a passive-pickup guitar to backup a Blackout-equipped guitar. The Blackouts are just insanely loud, and you'd have to tweak your volume knob carefully and quickly to compensate. I ran into this issue pretty firmly, and decided to ditch actives as I didn't want my whole fleet equipped that way. It's tough to blend them without a good sound guy compensating for you.

I would recommend getting whatever you'd like as a backup, as long as it has the range, features and feel you need. I'm trying to find a cheap backup to my 7620, but I'm trying to avoid basswood bodies as I want something a little less rounded and smooth sounding. It is cool to have different guitars for different tones, but you don't want to pull out a Rickenbacker as your backup :lol:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
If you're content with the sound of your guitar and want a backup, there's nothing wrong with getting another one of the same thing. Backups are good to have, especially if you play out much. Let them scoff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts