Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.

i'm looking to spend between £300-400.

i'm after a good, tube driven metal tone,i play mostly metallica from kill-em to black.

i'm not expecting anything top-end, or something to gig with, just the best i can get to practise hard on and to enjoy playing.

i looked at the marshall JTM60, seems a good versatile old-school amp but i'm not sure it's really the best crunchy metal tone i can get for my money.

thanks in advance everyone. i've wasted money on the wrong amps in the past so i'm trying to do my homework this time.

also

my guitar is a low-end, jackson JS32, standard pick ups. is it worth upgrading these pickups? if so what pick-ups should i be looking at?

thanks again
-Jay :metal:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Just playing at home? Do you have a cab or not? If you do, go try out a Blackstar HT-5 or HT5-Metal.
Also yes, bang EMG's in that thing :metal:

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
I don't know about the JTM 60 man. Might want to get something a little more modern.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
plank - yep, playing at home, but no cab. will look into the EMG's

toxic - i'm thinking that as well

soop - don't know, will have a look

thanks for the input so far :yesway:

4,429 Posts
Ht-5 is a great amp.

Laney makes some stuff that goes for a good price used. Gh50L comes to mind.

I feel like 6505s may be just above your price range since you're in the UK but if you can find one in it It's definitely worth a shot.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
I mean, I love old Marshalls, but i can't find ANY examples of it doing high gain stuff. I you want the marshall sound though, try checking out an 8100 or VS100 or their combo variants. Killer amps, cheap, and versatile.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
the HT-5 is a 5watt amp right? is the HT-5C combo any good?

toxic - i know what you mean about the marshalls, it's not specifically the marshall sound i'm after but a good metal sound, but i'll check out your suggestions too. thanks man

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
The Laney Ironheart 15 is awesome.

The Blackstar is pretty good too but nowhere near as good for metal, but is more versatile for other styles (I own both btw).

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I mean, I love old Marshalls, but i can't find ANY examples of it doing high gain stuff. I you want the marshall sound though, try checking out an 8100 or VS100 or their combo variants. Killer amps, cheap, and versatile.
I used to own a JTM30 back in the day. LOVED the clean - bright, glassy, and gritted up wonderfully at high volumes - but it definitely didn't do high gain. The 60, I understand, has a bit more gain, but it's sort of a vintage-voiced crunch, and is pretty papery at lower volumes.

It also kept crapping out at high volumes, which is why I eventually sold it for my first Mesa. :lol:

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
its a little above your range, but peavy do a 60 watt 1x12 combo version of the 6505 for about 450 - used probably about 300.

i dont own one myself but was looking at getting one before i settled on a pod hd - but as it was just going to be for home use i felt it was a little overkill, plus i wanted some pedals in there as well so a pod made sense for me.

if there are any owners of one reading this they might be able to chime in if it needs to be cranked loud to sound good or if its useable at lower volumes, but it should cover metal for you - although some will it doesn't sound QUITE the same as the full size US made version.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
its a little above your range, but peavy do a 60 watt 1x12 combo version of the 6505 for about 450 - used probably about 300.

i dont own one myself but was looking at getting one before i settled on a pod hd - but as it was just going to be for home use i felt it was a little overkill, plus i wanted some pedals in there as well so a pod made sense for me.

if there are any owners of one reading this they might be able to chime in if it needs to be cranked loud to sound good or if its useable at lower volumes, but it should cover metal for you - although some will it doesn't sound QUITE the same as the full size US made version.
That's what I was asking about earlier. One of those would be perfect. I played one in a store and it was awesome. Has some cheaper parts on it than a USA made model but still, it's a beast of a combo.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Peavey vypyr VIP might be looking at too

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
The Laney Ironheart range can be had second hand for that price. The 60 definitely, the 120 on the right day. Great amps, worth a go for definite.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@ budda - what about the valveking?

@ stu - the lionheart does seem to have a good rep on this board, I'm looking at a few on ebay.

thanks for the suggestions, hope to read more

@ plezz - thank u, I will look at that peavey, although if u need to crank the volume before you start getting a nice sound then it might not be right for me. then again, there will be plenty of chances to use it when the noise won't be an issue.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I think the VIP may do high gain better. I find Vk's to be very ho-hum.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks tony, it's going on the list

budda, bang on my friend. it's all about the high gain.

thanks joel, i'll look at the irt 15.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
thanks tony, it's going on the list

budda, bang on my friend. it's all about the high gain.

thanks joel, i'll look at the irt 15.
As has also been said the IRT studio is excellent and if you're into recording, and want a dedicated clean channel then the studio is the way to go. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts